cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

NFAnders
Journeyman III

Video output goes black after several minutes on Win 11

I built a Win 10 PC with a RX550 for my parents and it was working until Microsoft forced an update to Win 11- now, after using the PC for 5-10 minutes the screen begins flickering and then goes completely black. 

I think I can rule out all of the hardware- the monitor works well with other devices (same HDMI cable), and the PC and GPU function properly when I'm not signed into Windows- I've used some USB boot utilities, the Windows recovery environment, and Windows safe mode without the issue happening.  And when the issue does happen within Windows, signing out seems to bring the image back- I've tried alt+f4 a few times and whenever I manage to log out or shutdown the display finally returns (though the screen is still black if I sign back in). 

I've tried using DDU to wipe any GPU drivers and clean install again but the issue still happens whether I manually install a driver or use the AMD automatic installer. 

Any attempt to open the AMD graphics settings results in a compatibility error message, and after using the AMD compatibility tool opening the AMD settings results in the screen immediately flickering and blacking out. 

I'm not sure what else to try aside from buying a different GPU (and the options at this price point are very limited).  I've read that disabling freesync can help, but without access to the AMD settings I'm not sure how to do it.  Any advice would be appreciated

The system:

RX 550 GPU using HDMI out

Ryzen 3600

MSI B450 A-Pro mb

32GB DDR4

600W PSU

AOC Q27G3XMN monitor

0 Likes
1 Reply
James_Holafer
Journeyman III

you should check BIOS updates for your motherboard. Sometimes, updating the BIOS can resolve compatibility issues with new operating systems. Additionally, you might want to explore community forums for specific Win 11 and RX550 compatibility insights.

0 Likes