cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

-Holo-
Adept I

Using Radeon Super Resolution in a multimonitor enviroment messes up desktop layout.

I just managed to afford a 7800 GT card and while tinkering about with it to finally run 4K games on my monitor(s) I noticed the Radeon Super Resolution leaves a bit to be desired from a useability view.

I have three monitors side by side, using monitor 2 as main and usually having youtube or something else running on monitor 3 to the right side.

The card is not  able to handle all games at 4k unfortunatly so it runs at 90-100% and has -massive- coil whine when doing so I tried to use the Super resolution for the more heavy games, but while it works great, it shuffles around the desktop while active which is a nuisance.

Could this be fixed?

/Holo

0 Likes
3 Replies
JFM
Adept III

I have no idea about multi-monitor setups, but just wanted to suggest undervolt for coil whine. Mine was doing as well but undervolt completely removed the sound, while dropping power usage and temps. Barely lost performance as well. 

0 Likes

Already have had two driver crashes in two days testing so gonna try a new powerersupply first. If that doesn't stop the drivers from crashing it seems I'll go back to Nvidia, This is giving me some flashback from last time I tried amd GPU with a 6870.
How much undervolt would be feasible to use?

0 Likes

If you are just coming from Nvidia, unvervolt kinda works different from afterburner from what I can see. Just reducing mV doesn't affect much overall, but reducing frequency works pretty good. 

For example 6700XT stock was 2624, and I dropped it to 2400. Tested it with RDR2 (heaviest game in my library) and lost 6-7fps (153 to 146) in exchange for 60W less power (175 to 115). Lighter games show almost no perf difference even on lower frequency like 2300, but I kept 2400 as default for overall ease of mine. It totally removed coil whine sound as well. 

Lastly, dropped mV from 1200 to 1120 for small improvement for power usage for overall most power efficient setting (lower than that caused some rare freezes in games). I am pretty new to AMD as well (less than 2 months) but never had a crashing issue so I won't be able to help about that. I do have a good power supply tho, idk whether it helps or not. 

0 Likes