mr_neverdies
Journeyman III

USB 3.00 and USB 3.10 Driver

Can be deleted.

115 Replies
dxlc0
Adept III

Re: USB 3.00 and USB 3.10 Driver

I have the exact same motherboard (ASUS TUF B450-Plus) and almost the exact same error.

The AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller keeps failing. Sometimes it just fails without BSOD, and sometimes it fails with BSOD and a very quick automatic reboot. Usually the BSOD goes by so fast I cannot read the error code at the bottom.

I have noticed that I can cause the error to occur more frequently when I install and use a PCI-e WiFi card. If the WiFi card is disabled, the crash of the AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller happens less frequently (maybe once a month). If I enable the WiFi card and use it to connect to the network, then the AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller fails very frequently.

I had the same problem with two different WiFi cards, one brand new ASUS PCE-AC58BT and one older but highly reliable Intel 5100AGN card. Both cards cause the same frequent failures of the AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller.

Different from your case, my AMD USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller does not fail.

0 Likes
dxlc0
Adept III

@mr.neverdies:

Do you happen to have an Intel Wifi card in the bottom PCIe slot of your mobo?

I have been testing with three different Intel WiFi PCIe cards, and the AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller crashes only when the Intel WiFi card is installed and enabled. If I disable it, then the USB 3.10 EHC driver stops crashing.

I tested an Intel 9260, Intel 5100, and Intel 7260 and they all have the same problem.

Also, if I disable the Realtek Gigabit Ethernet card on the motherboard, then it looks like I can use the Intel WiFi card without the USB 3.10 EHC crashing. But I need to test it for a few more days to confirm this.

0 Likes
dxlc0
Adept III

I fixed this issue by reinstalling Windows 10 from scratch.

I figured out that it must be a software problem by running my PC in Safe Mode with Networking for a day. It had zero crashes of the USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller driver, even though this driver was loaded by Safe Mode.

Thus, I realized that it must have been one of the 3rd party drivers not loaded by Safe Mode, but I was not able to figure out which one. So I did the reinstall and the problem has gone away.

0 Likes
dxlc0
Adept III

Sadly, the problem came back after I installed the latest AMD B450 Chipset Driver package downloaded from amd.com. I rolled back all six of the drivers in the package but the problem did not go away.

Then, I did a system restore to a point right after I reinstalled Windows 10, and the crashing was almost completely gone, but after the latest Windows 10 comprehensive update to 1909, the crashing of the AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller 1.10 driver has begun again.

This might be a bad Windows 10 update or might be a bad AMD Chipset Driver.

dxlc0
Adept III

Final update. In the end, after trying everything I could think of and everything that ASUS tech support asked me to try, I sent the motherboard in for warranty repair. ASUS opted to replace the motherboard. I am testing it now but do not expect any problems.

My suspicion is that the PCI-to-PCI bridge that the AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller was a child device of kept failing, taking down all the child and grandchild devices at the same time. This included the integrated RealTek GBE Family Controller and the Intel 7260-ac Wifi card I had in the bottom PCI-e slot. Nothing I changed in software or in the BIOS made a difference, so I figured it had to be hardware and shipped the board back to ASUS.

Hope this helps someone.

UPDATE: after ASUS replaced my motherboard with a brand new one, I no longer have the AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller problems. It was a hardware problem.

dxlc0
Adept III

FURTHER UPDATE:

I just got the same error with the AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller failing.

This is with the brand new motherboard ASUS sent me (not refurbished).

It was right after I installed the AMD Ryzen Power Plan 5.0.0.0.

I have been installing/updating drivers and software one at a time for about 2 weeks and then running it for several hours to a few days to see if the software was at fault.

I uninstalled the AMD Ryzen Power Plan 5.0.0.0 right after the crash of the USB 3.10 EHC and am testing it now.

dxlc0
Adept III

So far, uninstalling the Ryzen Power Plan 5.0.0.0 seems to have worked. I've gone 48 hours without the USB 3.10 EHC crashing.

Uninstalling the power plan is not the same as deleting it. Deleting the power plan still sees the USB 3.10 EHC crash. You must uninstall it. The AMD chipset driver installation EXE can do a custom uninstall if you use the commands in the release notes.

jiinzzxx
Adept I

Hi, I have the same exact issue as you, same mobo and issue when I have a network card adapter, since this post has the issue been fixed?

If so, can you post an explanation on how to uninstall the Ryzen Power Plan 5.0.0.0 as I have not found any documentation online explaining how to do so.

Thanks for the dedication on solving this issue.

0 Likes
dxlc0
Adept III

If you still have the original installer .exe, you can run a command in the same directory like so:

START /WAIT "" <path to executable with exe name> /S /CUSTOMUNINSTALL="<feature name/names assigned to the drivers that are to be uninstalled separated by comma>"

The list of features is at the bottom of the Release Notes that came with the driver .exe.

For the Ryzen Power Plan, it is:

RYZENPPKG

So the final command would be:

START /WAIT "" .\AMD_Chipset_Software.exe /S /CUSTOMUNINSTALL="RYZENPPKG"

---

Note that I have discovered that the Ryzen Power Plan 5.0.0.0 is not the only thing that causes the USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller to fail. I still get the failure after uninstalling the Ryzen Power Plan, just a lot less often.

I have not figured out what other driver(s) to uninstall or update or downgrade to get it to where my system just works all the time with the WiFi+Bluetooth NIC in the last PCI-e slot. Am still trying things out to pin it down. I've even got a fourth brand new NIC on order to try in the last PCI-e slot, hoping that it fixes the problem (but it probably won't--three NICs didn't work, why would a fourth one?)