cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

KaijinLee
Adept I

Urgent Help Needed: Black Screen Issue with AMD RX 6600 GPU during Driver Installation

Hello everyone,

I'm seeking some urgent assistance regarding a persistent issue I've been facing while attempting to install AMD drivers for my RX 6600 GPU. I've tried various solutions, but the problem persists, and I'm hoping to get some insights from the community. The issue is quite specific and complex.

**Issue Description**:
Whenever I try to install the AMD drivers for my RX 6600 GPU, my system runs into a roadblock. After the BIOS screen during boot-up, the screen goes completely black (but seems like the PC is running and everything is running including fans, processor, RAM (with LED), USB and so on, but I'm unable to proceed to the Windows environment. The GPU's fans once in a while.

**Recent Observations**:
I've recently noticed some screen flickering yesterday night before I shut down the PC. When I woke up today and started my PC, it won't boot-up again like mentioned above. Not sure is this relatable, the power of my house was unstable for few days (the power was flicking and keep tripping, got it fixed this morning), but so far while it was happening (flicking or power tripped) the PC was not on.

**Troubleshooting Steps Taken**:
I've taken the following steps to address the issue:

1. Reboot Attempt: Initially, I tried a simple reboot, but the black screen problem persisted.
2. Reinstallation of Windows 11: I decided to perform a clean reinstallation of Windows 11 to rule out conflicts, but this did not resolve the problem.
3. Windows 10 Installation: As a further troubleshooting step, I formatted my SSD and installed Windows 10. Unfortunately, this also did not yield any improvement.
4. The whole PC is clean, free of dust as this PC was built less than 6 months.
5. Power supply working fine.
6. Same issue occur if I install this GPU into other PCs.
7. MS BASIC DISPLAY ADAPTER: Interestingly, allowing Windows to run using the "MS BASIC DISPLAY ADAPTER" (while HDMI cable connected to the GPU) without installing the AMD driver enabled the system to boot up and operate normally. However, it is essential to note that this operation was devoid of GPU acceleration. Upon connecting the system to the internet, Windows detected the AMD GPU's lack of drivers and initiated an automatic installation of suitable drivers. Unfortunately, as this process commenced, the screen would go black once again, preventing the system from booting into Windows.

**Error Codes**:
Before installing driver, in the Device Manager, I noticed the following error codes associated with the RX 6600 GPU:
- "Code 31: This device is not working properly"
- "Code 43: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems."
- On a different PC, following the occurrence of the error and subsequent replacement of the AMD GPU with a functional one, the AMD software signaled "Error 207: AMD Software Installation Completed Successfully but Windows Detected a Potential Issue with Your Graphics Device."

**My PC Specification:**

A520M-A-Pro
R5 5500
RX 6600 (This GPU with issue)
600W PSU
TP-Link Archer TX55E Wifi and Bluetooth adapter
WD 480GB SSD + WD 2TB HDD

Based on my observations and the steps I've taken, it appears that the issue might be related to the RX 6600 GPU and its driver installation process, not sure is it related to the hardware. I'm reaching out to the community for any insights or suggestions on how to tackle this issue.

Additionally, if anyone has experienced issue like this, I'd appreciate any advice or guidance on how to address that as well.

I understand that the community's input can be invaluable in situations like these, and I thank you all in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Best regards!

0 Likes
0 Replies