cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

_daniel_
Journeyman III

uninstalling AMD-RAID Drivers

I recently upgraded from a 1st generation Threadripper (x399) build to a new x570/5600x build.

What I didn't fully understand when I upgraded was that the x570 does not allow separate logic for enabling RAID on Sata and/or nVME (like my x399 did)... so when I enabled SATA Raid mode (no mention of nvme on the option) on my x570 so that my pre-existing SATA mirror would move smoothly across (which it did), imagine my surprise when suddenly all my nVME tools/dashboards no longer worked in my new build because SMART wasn't passing through the AMD-Raid drivers which were now also covering my nVME drives as well... not what I asked for.

So what I've done is disable RAID in the x570 BIOS and installed my HighPoint HBA RAID card to take over my data mirror... but was surprized yet once again when Win10 kept a hold of wanting to use the AMD-RAID drivers for the nVME and Sata drives (not connected to the HBA).

I figured out pretty quickly though that I could select the "bottom" devices for my nVME drives in Device Manager, update the driver, and scanning for driver software happily found and switched over to using the MS "Standard NVM Express Controller "... very nice, something that happened as expected!

But not nice that there seems to be no way of dumping the AMD-Raid drivers which are still covering my SATA ports... and I have no drives there (they're hooked to the HBA).

I even tried dumping the registry entries in "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\" for rcraid, rccfg, and rcbottom... but they kept coming back like a 0-day virus.

How do I permanently and unconditionally uninstall these RAID Drivers?  It's not like they are needed to boot or any other important reason... and reinstalling windows is not an acceptable answer for something as simple and everyday as installing/uninstalling drivers.

0 Likes
1 Solution
_daniel_
Journeyman III

hmmm, I solved the issue by going back into the BIOS and switching SATA mode to AHCI from RAID... hmm, I thought I'd done that

I wonder if that was because I hadn't updated the nvme drivers first so it failed to boot and so I reverted back to RAID mode and moved on?

At any rate, Win10 isn't using the Raid Drivers anymore... awesome!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
_daniel_
Journeyman III

hmmm, I solved the issue by going back into the BIOS and switching SATA mode to AHCI from RAID... hmm, I thought I'd done that

I wonder if that was because I hadn't updated the nvme drivers first so it failed to boot and so I reverted back to RAID mode and moved on?

At any rate, Win10 isn't using the Raid Drivers anymore... awesome!

0 Likes
SignedAdam
Adept I

Hi follow my guide at :
X570 Complete Uninstall of the AMD-RAID Drivers - AMD Community
which will show you how to Completely remove AMD raid drivers