cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ShaneB0826
Journeyman III

Unable to enable Smart Access Memory

I just installed an ASUS Dual RX 7800xt GPU and I'm not able to activate SmartAccess Memory. My setup is

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8 Core CPU

16GB DDR4-3200 / PC4-25600 DDR4 SDRAM UDIMM

ASrock B450m Pro4 Motherboard w/ bios version 5.70

850w EVGA PSU

Windows 10 Pro version 22H2

I did a clean driver uninstall using Display Driver Uninstaller by Wagnardsoft before installing the new GPU. (The old GPU was a RX 580 if that matters)

I installed Radeon version 24.4.1 first, then updated to 24.5.1. Immediately after I install a different driver version (doesn't seem to matter which one) the feature is enabled in Radeon software. Then after rebooting the pc, the feature is disabled and says it's unsupported.

4G decoding and Resizable BAR are enabled in my bios, and CSM is disabled. UEFI boot is enabled, as well as Secureboot and TPM.

I haven't been able to find any further troubleshooting ideas anywhere, any assistance would be appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Mirk44
Adept I

It's a bit finicky and i'm sure there is some bug that AMD has yet to fix but here is how i do it when it happens:

- go into bios, disable 4G decoding and resizable bar

- load into the PC, shut down (no reboot)

- start PC up again, load into bios and re-enable 4G decoding and reisazable BAR

- load into the PC,  there is a probability that Adrenalin will tell you that SAM is still disable or greyed out

- once again shut down the PC, no reboot

- start again and it should show SAM enabled and there should be no more issues with it

This usually works for me but i have to do this every time AMD updates

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Mirk44
Adept I

It's a bit finicky and i'm sure there is some bug that AMD has yet to fix but here is how i do it when it happens:

- go into bios, disable 4G decoding and resizable bar

- load into the PC, shut down (no reboot)

- start PC up again, load into bios and re-enable 4G decoding and reisazable BAR

- load into the PC,  there is a probability that Adrenalin will tell you that SAM is still disable or greyed out

- once again shut down the PC, no reboot

- start again and it should show SAM enabled and there should be no more issues with it

This usually works for me but i have to do this every time AMD updates

ShaneB0826
Journeyman III

Sorry for the delayed response, I wanted to test this out thoroughly before reporting back. It seems to have done the trick though, Smart Access is now enabled every time. Thanks for your help!

0 Likes
Balrogos
Adept III

I belive its graphical bug i have it so many time cause both gpuz report that rebar is on and in hardware manager on gpu u can also seee memory extension is enabled. 

0 Likes