cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

greenman13
Adept I

Ubuntu 22.04 driver for RX6500XT when to expect?

Hi, I have a problem with lock screen function with Ubuntu 22.04. When I activate this feature, the system hangs and cannot be restored. You must turn off/on PC to restore session. I suppose that this issue is connected with AMD Video card RX6500XT and bad video driver which is default for the system AMD® Beige_goby, because with other video cards like RX5500XT, 550 and Nvidia working well. Is there any solution to fix this and when can be expected official video driver?

3 Replies
keith_laaks
Journeyman III

Hi,

It does not look like any Ubuntu 22.04 drivers have been released yet for any of their GPUs - not even for the very latest current models. So you will be forced to try use 20.04, but then you will run into a whole set of new issues due to dependency hell. 

I have the exact same challenge.

Lets hope someone from AMD is able to answer us here.

Hi,

Just like you and me, thousands of people who have purchased their products, now sit with the exact same problem. 

Ubuntu 22.04 was released in April. We have been patient.

I have even emailed their support. Still waiting for feedback. 

An anagram for AMD is MAD - which is what we all feel about this situation.

I guess its time to cut our losses, sell our cards and move over to the other brand that does a better job at keeping their drivers up to date when new major Linux distributions release updated LTS versions. Someone that does not let their customers sit there not knowing when, if ever, they are going to get updated drivers.

Keith.

greenman13
Adept I

Update:

I figured out that blanked screen doesn't wake up after locking (dual monitors pc desktop config) when i use new AMD Radeon video card as RX6500XT is not conected with video driver. I was able to reproduce this issue in Ubuntu 20.04.4, Ubuntu 22.04 and Fedora 36. First I thought there was a problem with the video driver. Make some test with new property AMD drivers 22.10/20 for Ubuntu 20.04.4/5 HWE and Ubuntu 22.04 and always receive the same result. In the end after switching to KDE based Kubuntu 22.04 this error does not replicate. So the problem is not related with the video driver, it is connected with Gnome .

0 Likes