cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

Peter55
Journeyman III

Trying to install the latest chipset drivers resulted in a gigantic mess

I have a MSI Gaming Pro X370 Carbon motherboard with Windows 10 Pro latest updates.

I downloaded amd_chipset_software_4.03.03.431.exe from the website and wanted to install it, but it created huge problems.

First it would successfully install anything and I have gone inside the device manager to manually update the drivers.
It created problems, my mouse and keyboard didn't work any more, maybe because I deleted 1 driver too much.
So I rebooted the PC with the power button and got that eventually solved.

After the drivers the power plan still would not update.
So I went looking and found a Microsoft utility to 'fix' problems MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta.diagcab.
During using this it asked which program was having issues installing and I selected something like 'amd balanced plan driver'.
It reported the problem solve, but it wasn't.

This gave me an idea and looking in C:\AMD\Chipset_Software\Packages\Apps\RyzenPPKG I found AMD_Ryzen_Balanced-Driver.msi. I went ahead and installed it manually and it did in fact install successfully.

After rebooting my PC I tried running amd_chipset_software_4.03.03.431.exe again and let it install.
Now the installer says it FAILED to install again.
It created a log AMD_Chipset_Software_Install_Summary.txt and this file reads:

AMD Chipset Software Install Summary

Name : AMD Ryzen Power Plan
Version : 7.0.4.4
Install : Success

Name : AMD PCI Device Driver
Version : 1.0.0.87

Name : AMD GPIO Driver
Version : 2.2.0.130

Name : AMD GPIO Driver (for Promontory)
Version : 3.0.0.0

Name : AMD PSP Driver
Version : 5.18.0.0

Name : AMD SMBus Driver
Version : 5.12.0.38

Yet the installed reports is failed to install.
When I open Windows 10 Apps & features it shows I have 'AMD Chipset Software' installed 16/03/2022
but it is version 2.17.25.506 of the chip set software supposedly. 

When I try removing that software from my PC it gives an error:
Cannot find the file C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\Chipset_IODrivers\Setup.exe.

And it is so that the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\ exists, but not the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\Chipset_IODrivers\

What a MESS!

I've had problems updating before. AMD should really fix this horrible installer that eventually makes my live more difficult than if I had to install each piece manually. 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Peter55
Journeyman III

I came up with a new idea myself.

It said in Windows 10 Apps & features I have 'AMD Chipset Software' version 2.17.25.506 installed.
I still had this installed backed up on my pc, so I was able to reinstall it.
I did't bother to remove the old one as it gave an error when I tried, I just left it.
I reinstalled 'AMD Chipset Software' version 2.17.25.506 with the original installer, during the installation I opted to ONLY install the SMBus driver (that in reality hasn't changed version number yet anyway) and I just ran the installer.

After it had installed this old version, I needed of course to remove it again because I wanted to use the latest one. So I went ahead and uninstalled it again. All the original setup files were found because installing them had restored them and the uninstallation wen completely successful. It had been cleaned up properly.

Then I rebooted the PC and installed then newest version back again. It reported success. It now shows up correctly in 'Apps & features' and hopefully when I update next time, it will do so without errors or problems.

This actually seems to be the best solution. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies

Maybe something in this article could be useful for next time update https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/chipset-install

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
Peter55
Journeyman III

I came up with a new idea myself.

It said in Windows 10 Apps & features I have 'AMD Chipset Software' version 2.17.25.506 installed.
I still had this installed backed up on my pc, so I was able to reinstall it.
I did't bother to remove the old one as it gave an error when I tried, I just left it.
I reinstalled 'AMD Chipset Software' version 2.17.25.506 with the original installer, during the installation I opted to ONLY install the SMBus driver (that in reality hasn't changed version number yet anyway) and I just ran the installer.

After it had installed this old version, I needed of course to remove it again because I wanted to use the latest one. So I went ahead and uninstalled it again. All the original setup files were found because installing them had restored them and the uninstallation wen completely successful. It had been cleaned up properly.

Then I rebooted the PC and installed then newest version back again. It reported success. It now shows up correctly in 'Apps & features' and hopefully when I update next time, it will do so without errors or problems.

This actually seems to be the best solution. 

0 Likes