cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ardankyaosen
Miniboss

The AMDRyzenMasterDriverV22 service failed to start

Since 09/27/2023, Event Viewer on my Windows 10 system has been showing the following error several times a day:

"The AMDRyzenMasterDriverV22 service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified."

At one point, I DID have Ryzen Master installed.  But, I uninstalled it a month or so ago.  Yet, I still get this error.  If I fire up Sysinternals' Autoruns utility:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns 

and filter for AMDRyzenMaster, it shows three places where that stuff is autostarting:

• \AMDRyzenMasterSDKTask AMDRyzenMasterSDKTask (Verified) Advanced Micro Devices Inc. C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\cpumetricsserver.exe Thu Jan 11 12:45:02 2024
  • AMDRyzenMasterDriverV20 AMDRyzenMasterDriverV20: AMD Ryzen Master Service Driver (Verified) Advanced Micro Devices Inc. C:\Windows\system32\AMDRyzenMasterDriver.sys Thu Jan 11 09:21:26 2024
  • AMDRyzenMasterDriverV22 AMDRyzenMasterDriverV22: AMD Ryzen Master Service Driver (Verified) Advanced Micro Devices Inc. C:\Windows\system32\AMDRyzenMasterDriver.sys Thu Jan 11 09:21:26 2024

Right-clicking and doing a "Jump to Entry" for the first entry, above, AMDRyzenMasterSDKTask, that's apparently started in Task Scheduler.  The only trigger I see is "on demand."  It IS running though, but I don't know what's initiating it.  Can I just delete that scheduled task since I no longer have Ryzen Master installed?

The last two entries, AMDRyzenMasterDriverV20 and V22 are both started in the Registry at:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

Besides their very existence, the only odd thing I see is their ImagePath.  They both point to C:\Windows\system32\AMDRyzenMasterDriver.sys (which DOES exist).  But, their paths are preceded by question marks:

\??\C:\Windows\system32\AMDRyzenMasterDriver.sys

Can I safely delete those?

EDIT:  Well, I've deleted all three of those autostart task and, so far, no smoke has been emitted from my computer.  So, I'll tentatively say it's OK to delete them.

1 Solution
ardankyaosen
Miniboss

I'm marking this as solved.  I deleted those three autostart entries, nothing bad has happened, and the Event Viewer errors have gone away.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
ardankyaosen
Miniboss

I'm marking this as solved.  I deleted those three autostart entries, nothing bad has happened, and the Event Viewer errors have gone away.

Hi,

I’ve been having this exact same issue! It would show this error when starting up certain Steam games, windows would go unresponsive and then the game would be stuck as “Running” in Steam. Is that what’s been happening to you? 

It only started happening in the past week or so.

0 Likes

Funny you should mention Steam games. I'm getting the AMDRyzenMasterDriverV22 service fail message along with the  "

Display driver amduw23g stopped responding and has successfully recovered." message. Often, Steam will restart at this point. I did wonder whether the error was somehow triggered by any Steam files...

0 Likes

far from sovled

0 Likes
ardankyaosen
Miniboss

I was lucky.  The only issue I had was the error messages appearing in Event Viewer.  Once I found where the autostart entries were and deleted them, all those errors went away.

Using Sysinternals' Autoruns utility made finding those locations easy.  All I had to do was run it and filter on AMDRyzenMaster.

0 Likes

Ok thank you, well maybe I’ll try this anyway

0 Likes

Hi I’ve fixed my problem! I’m basically a massive idiot and had my HDMI cable plugged into my motherboard instead of my GPU. 
I’m sure you’re not as dumb as me but have you checked that?…

0 Likes

what do you mean by this?

0 Likes
ardankyaosen
Miniboss

I'm good.  No motherboard graphics capability.  But, thanks for the heads up.

0 Likes