cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

XpliciT
Adept I

System service exception amdkmdag.sys BSOD after GPU driver update

Hello, I updated the graphics card drivers of my VEGA 64 yesterday but my PC crashed because of a different reason. After restarting I wanted to reload my settings in AMD Software: Adrenaline (undervolting the GPU because stock settings are prone for crashing) but when I hit apply, I got the mentioned BSOD.

I tried:

- Uninstalling the drivers using DDU in safe mode

- Resintalling the drivers

- Reinstalling Windows

- Some CMD commands ( sfc /scannow, etc.)

Nothing helped so far and I'm getting desperate for an answer that works for me. If anything is needed to be able to help me with the problem, I'm happy to provide any information necessary.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Kalana
Challenger

Hi, with the things you already tried, seems if corrupted system or registry files and broken drivers should be reset and fixed. I think this has to be with the new version of drivers, all though it's an update some drivers tend to be obsolete and buggy with certain GPUs. So I stick to a stable driver unless it's really necessary to update. Have you tried reverting back to the previous driver?

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Kalana
Challenger

Hi, with the things you already tried, seems if corrupted system or registry files and broken drivers should be reset and fixed. I think this has to be with the new version of drivers, all though it's an update some drivers tend to be obsolete and buggy with certain GPUs. So I stick to a stable driver unless it's really necessary to update. Have you tried reverting back to the previous driver?

Not yet, I will give it a shot and update about how it went.

0 Likes

Reverting back to 23.8.1 fixed the issue. That's also where I noticed something. When I try to manually change the clock speeds, the progam shows me bars, right? In 23.8.1 the white line that's supposed to show the top of the bar is displayed correctly. In the latest version, 23.9.1, that white line is somewhere in the middle of it.

Maybe it's just a broken version? I'll stick with 23.8.1 for now, since I don't seem to have an issue with it now

I'm glad that solved the issue. And yeah, the GPU tuning they have changed the layout.  I felt it too, though I'm not sure if that's what they intended to do, like a GUI change. It's hard to read and I guess the below numeric values was to be manually fed. Still there are some unstable voltages and can cause crashes. Also most of the settings like graphics and display moved to gaming menu as well.

0 Likes

I noticed that too when I wanted to change my display settings in the app. Maybe I'll give it a chance another time

0 Likes

Hi,
I do have the same problem with my Sapphire RX Vega 64.
When I try to just enable the custom settings, I get a BSOD.
Driver version 23.1.1 (latest).

Can you please tell me how I may proceed to get rid of this problem?

Thank you in advance for your answer,
Best Regards

0 Likes

Hello,

There are 2 workarounds (and I would start with reporting the bug using the AMD bug report tool, even though I've already reported it at least once several months ago):

Revert to 22.8.1 drivers by using the AMD cleanup utility in safe mode and disconnecting from the internet before installation (you can find specific guides online)

Get older drivers here https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/radeon-rx-vega-series/radeon-rx-vega-series...

Or just don't use Wattman for tuning. Use MSI Afterburner.

Regards

_
"Anarchy means the absence of a ruler, NOT the absence of rules" - Mark Passio
0 Likes
Krzeszny
Adept I

Same issue here.

_
"Anarchy means the absence of a ruler, NOT the absence of rules" - Mark Passio
0 Likes
RonaldMorgan
Journeyman III

I recently experienced a frustrating problem with a System service exception amdkmdag.sys BSOD after updating my GPU driver. This happened right when I was in the middle of important work related to corporate services in Dubai. Hoping to find a solution soon to get back on track. Can anyone help me.

0 Likes