cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ksio89
Adept I

System freezes during installation of Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition driver on laptop

Everytime I attemp to the install the latest AMD Radeon driver on my laptop, the system freezes usually at 44% and I have to force a shutdown. Then Windows won't boot up, as the system gets stuck in a black screen. The only solution is booting into Safe Mode, uninstalling AMD Radeon drivers and then restarting. Uninstalling drivers using DDU on safe mode and reinstalling then did not work. And not even reinstalling the previous version of the driver (Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.1.1) is able to fix this problem.

Occasionally, the system booted up normally after restarting from safe mode, even if hadn't uninstalled Radeon drivers. When this happened, I checked Device Manager and noticed that the video driver of AMD Radeon video adapter was indeed installed, however AMD Settings wasn't. I don't know if this has any relation, but before trying to install 19.2.1 driver and face this freeeze issue, I noticed that AMD Settings accessed throgh Desktop context menu wouldn't open, even after updating Radeon drivers. I actually can't recall the last Radeon driver in which I was able to open Radeon Settings.

While this is a hybrid graphics scheme, I'm pretty sure Intel HD Graphics driver has nothing to do with this issue, as I was able to install previous versions of AMD Radeon Software drivers normally, and I haven't updated Intel iGPU drivers either. Thanks in advance.

System Configuration:

• Laptop Make and model: Dell Inspiron 15R-5537

• CPU: Intel core i7-4500U

• Memory: 8GB DDR3L 1600MHz

• GPU: AMD Radeon HD 8850M (GDDR5)

• Driver: Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.2.1

22 Replies