cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

GoodyGorrila
Journeyman III

Stuttering Issues when alt tabbing

About two days ago I updated my drivers to the latest version 24.3.1, ever since then at random intervals whenever I alt tab I get major stutters that last for usually around 10 seconds. During these periods my performance overlay disappears. I have attempted to roll back to my previous driver version but the issue persists. During these stutters my GPU usages jumps to 100% most of the times. I doubt it is of any relevance in this case but I have a R5 5600 and an RX 7600.

Any help is appreciated, the issue is not limiting me when playing games or anything that doesn't require me to alt tab but it's really noticeable when I'm performing tasks when I switch over from monitor to monitor by alt tabbing.

18 Replies
Daluk
Journeyman III

Hey, I've also ran into this problem and haven't found a fix yet, did you find anything?

0 Likes
Snygg-Risse
Adept I

If u use freesync try turning it off.

Make sure the monitor hz lets day 240hz is in windows and also game.

Othervise go to windows display and game settings and turn off vrr, it worked for me.

0 Likes

Didn't work for me, I tried all of these.

0 Likes
Yilmaya
Journeyman III

I have the same issue since first 2024 drivers.

dmrgveli
Journeyman III

Happens to me too with Ryzen 5 5600/6700XT combo. Started around the beginning of the year. So frustrating..

0 Likes
Drucki
Adept I

We got the same problem.

She's on a 5600X + 6800 + 16GB RAM

I'm on a 5800X3D + 6900XT + 32GB RAM

When we alt tab out of the game (Valorant, Fortnite) and go back into the game frames drop from stable 180+fps down to 3fps for about 10 sec. Not every time, but very often. 

One hint was to disable Discord Overlay. Had no effect. Still massive stuttering after tabbing out and back into the game. 

0 Likes
Smaragd98
Journeyman III

Hey people. I think I have exactly the same problem.

Ryzen 5 7600X combined with RX 7700XT - System was build only 9 days ago.

Only instead of ALT+TAB I use the Windows key to open/select another window (Music, Discord, Firefox etc.). After that, the whole system including Windows etc. starts to stall for 5-10 - as I've read from many people, it can't be fixed again by clicking back into the game. (Even if it looks like that in my video - that's not the case). The whole system simply continues to jerk for seconds or goes into a slowdown. After this time everything runs absolutely smoothly again. It occurs absolutely random, but so far it occurs 1-2 times a day per game session. I also freshly installed Windows, tested it on Windows 10 and Windows 11 - freshly installed. It happens the same under Windows 10 as it does under Windows 11.

To the people who had the problem: I was able to quickly take a video with my smartphone of the last 2-3 seconds of stuttering, when it happend. Pay attention to the left outline of the character, how much everything stutters. The whole Windows system stutters too. Then you can see how everything runs smoothly again:

https://youtu.be/TWk6WoRx5RA

Did it look the same at your system?

i would appricate any help!

0 Likes

The same things happens to me in different games only right after alt+tabbing. It normally takes 10 seconds. It started on the previous driver update and the newer version didn't fix it

0 Likes

I got the same problem, sometime after alt tabing, the whole computer become ultra slow for about 10sec yeah. Its random, but still happen often.

I bought the card (rx 7800xt ) one month ago and since then i got that issue so i can't tell when it started.

I did not have any  performance overlay activated, but in performance tab i had some graph showing up. Default settings.

0 Likes
Psyhix69
Adept III

> It normally takes 10 seconds. It started on the previous driver update and the newer version didn't fix it

I experienced this also with Apex Legends. When alt+tab sometimes entire PC start to stutter for around 10s - even the mouse.

I have not experienced it yet with 24.4.1

0 Likes
432hz
Adept III

See 24.4.1 Driver Release Notes under "Known Issues". Alt-Tab Stutter issue is acknowledged in connection with Performance Overlay. https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/amd-software-adrenalin-edition-24-4-1-release-notes/m-...

To all those with this issue, consider 1 of 2 options:

1. Uninstall current drivers with DDU or AMD Cleanup Utility in safe mode. Install an older version of the drivers such as 23.12.1 or 23.11.x. Disable the Performance Overlay. I had to install 23.12.1 and disable Resizable BAR in BIOS for good stability on my RX 6800.
  2. If you need game support in the 24.x.x drivers, uninstall current drivers with DDU / ACU in safe mode and reinstall latest drivers in Driver-Only mode.

RX 6800 • Intel 12600k • G.Skill 6000 32GB • MSI B760M Mortar
0 Likes

The release notes say:

• Intermittent stutter immediately after alt-tab with Performance Metrics Overlay enabled. [Resolution targeted for 24.5.1]

We are having this issue with the Performance Overlay NOT enabled.

0 Likes
ragezor
Journeyman III

My build consists of a 5700x and 6700xt and a 175hz gaming monitor, and it has been running since December 2022. Never had this issue before driver 24.3.1 and 24.4.1 (newer driver didn't fix the issue), whether I had a different Hz in game/Windows or different resolutions. The only thing that changed was the driver, so that is the only place where you need to look for errors. I normally use/play at 120Hz both windows and games, XMP profile always on, BAR on, and a minor undervolt in place. Whether I change these features on and off  or not, does not affect the slowdown. Its very random, but it keeps happening.

Please, fix it. It's incomprehensible to have a decent build that behaves likes a 20 year old computer.

I'd appreciate any help. Thank you! 

0 Likes
Psyhix69
Adept III

...and I have this issue on 24.4.1 - hopefully it will be resolved in next driver release.

0 Likes
Drucki
Adept I

I noticed when I tab out of the game, back in and the 3 fps stuttering occurs the GPU clock drops all the way down to about 4MHz for about 10 - 15 sec before it goes back up to full speed.

0 Likes
Drucki
Adept I

Adrenalin Edition 24.5.1 Release Notes
Fixed Issues and Improvements

• Intermittent stutter immediately after alt-tab with Performance Metrics Overlay enabled. 

I'll test that later.

0 Likes
ragezor
Journeyman III

Lets see about that, I'm installing the new 24.5.1 driver now . Yesterday I got perma stutter once while playing and alt-tabbed. I had to restart for it to go back to normal. Awful

0 Likes
Cannonfodder
Newcomer

Issue still persists for me in 24.5.1 even after driver clean and reinstall.

0 Likes