cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

rbtree1
Adept I

Store MI crashed PC and made it unbootable

I'm very upset. My X570 based PC (5950x, 64 gb ram, 380Ti, Gigabyte x570 Master) crashed several times and became unbootable.

I had checked AMD's site for updated chipset drivers, and found the system to be up to date. Installed Store MI anyhow, having forgotten what it was.

Opened it and read up.  This was after the PC had crashed almost immediately if not right away . Had clicked on one of the three HDD's and  gone no further when the PC crashed again with a note that no boot device found. Think it crashed as many as four times before it became unbootable.

As I had lots of programs on my C drive (2 tb SD SN850x) I had recently cloned its contents (at the time not enough to fill the 500 gb SSD that I used). However that /SSD has a damaged SATA port pin and isn't recognized. So, now I'm having to start over with a windows 11 iso  and want to install W11 temporarily on a HDD in a USB device, \so that I will be able to regain all the programs on the original C drive and any other data.... and eventually  format it and start over with it as the boot drive.A pain in the butt and should never have happened.  

I have no idea what happened or why, but I for **bleep** sure will never install StoreMI again. (I think I had installed it before on one of my 3 Ryzen powered PC's, found it to be of no use and uninstalled it.. but I don't recall when or on which PC-other two are x470/3700x and X570/5800x.)

Again, I'm am extremely unhappy!! ANGRY, even!!

Roger

0 Likes
1 Solution
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

StoreMi is dead. They stopped support over a year ago. StoreMi was to be used to speed up systems that used an SSD and HDD. If you already have no HDD it is kind of, if not completely, useless. 

https://www.techpowerup.com/265459/amd-cancels-storemi-technology-replacement-coming-soon#:~:text=%2....

Correct me if I am wrong. 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

View solution in original post

8 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

StoreMi is dead. They stopped support over a year ago. StoreMi was to be used to speed up systems that used an SSD and HDD. If you already have no HDD it is kind of, if not completely, useless. 

https://www.techpowerup.com/265459/amd-cancels-storemi-technology-replacement-coming-soon#:~:text=%2....

Correct me if I am wrong. 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

I just now read that link and see that it is from 2020. Said the product would not be available. But it is now, as AMD confirmed in their rather stock reply to my scathing complaint..to which I replied with more vitriole.

0 Likes
rbtree1
Adept I

Fine. If it's dead, why is it downloadable at AMD? That said.. I really didn't need it, as I have 3 large HDD's and three WD SN850's, each 2 tb..for fast vid and photo editing...

I'm pissed even moreso now, as my efforts at reinstalling Windows are not working. Need to follow some recommendations as to why.

As no windows install is showing, the fact that I'm trying to install W 10 when I'd moved from 10 to 11 shouldn't matter one bit....

What a way to waste, spend a few hours... at least Trump was found guilty!!

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

That is a good question. I mean if you know for sure you can't get data off the drives and want to reinstall Windows, many motherboard BIOS have a tool to delete all data on drives.

0 Likes

"many motherboard BIOS have a tool to delete all data on drives."

Never heard of such a thing or have any idea why it would be useful.

Once I re-installed Windows to a blank HDD, I was able to access the old OS drive, as I knew I would be able to. What was lost were the programs installed on it. As you know, most of them won't work when the drive is no longer the OS drive. So, I've not yet finished installing all the programs. What a pain in the butt.

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I agree this is a pain. Onto the point about the motherboard BIOS delete data utility, it's something like drive sanitizer. I use it to just delete all the data, so when I reinstall Windows, there are no pre-existing volumes. 

0 Likes

he want to said it lost support service anymore, and any issue on it wouldn't get any later support , so it is dead. it may misunderstand for non-English people .

however, storemi is a very good tools, i hope they will keep it for AMD product as it is valuable thing for users and working very well for performance boosting. i think ppl are welcome to pay for it 

0 Likes

Sorry for the month later reply. As many users have fast 2.5" SSD's or much faster NVMe drives, and of reasonably large sizes, I see little practical use for this program. And I remain quite upset that it somehow caused my boot drive to not be bootable. No reason why was given from anyone with AMD, let alone an apology.

0 Likes