cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

wc55595
Adept I

Starfield constant crashing, 7900XTX and 5800X3D

Making a new post from my comments on another crashing thread for added visibility

"- 1 -
I'm getting the same problem. Constant crashing no matter what I do. I've updated bios, xmp profile set, used a fresh windows install, updated chipset drivers, everything updated.. no dice. Playing sucks. I keep hoping I get a good 30 minute run, while constantly hitting F5.

My stuff:
XFX Speedster MERC310 AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz C16 DDR4
GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS Pro Wi-Fi
Corsair RM1000x (2021)
SAMSUNG 970 PRO SSD 1TB M.2

Best I can guess is, because this is a motherboard that was updated to support 5800x3d after release it may be a little goofy?? I have no idea

- 2 -
The game freezes and that's when I know it's crashed. Sounds already loaded continue playing until the app fully crashes. Most often that's to desktop, and often discord crashes with it. The crashes happen whether or not discord is running. Occasionally, it will freeze, then crash to a black screen that doesn't respond to anything including Ctrl alt del and I have to hard power down.

- 3 -
In either of those cases I would expect to have issues in some other game, any other game. Everything else is running fine. Play tarkov with friends, streaming to them and watching their streams on second monitor fine. Name a recent release and I've been playing it fine, AC6, BG3 etc

Will test more when I get home

- 4 -
Temps on CPU and GPU looked fine as well

- 5 -
How do I look at system event log? Will check out prime95 and furmark

- 6 -
K, thank you, will update here later today. Worth mentioning the crashes happen regardless of display settings ie everything on medium no fsr dynamic res etc

- 7 -
I'm about 10 min in on prime95 torture test with no issues

- 8 -
Stopped prime95 with no warnings or errors - just did furmark @1440p temp stayed below 65c with a score of 18900

- 9 -
From Windows Logs -> Application
Faulting application name: RadeonSoftware.exe, version: 10.1.2.1980, time stamp: 0x64e7735e
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.22621.608, time stamp: 0xf5fc15a3
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000007f61e
Faulting process id: 0x0x5318
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D9E2884C5912F6
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\RadeonSoftware.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\ucrtbase.dll
Report Id: 610225d2-4982-433f-a81e-2caf3396dad9
Faulting package full name: AdvancedMicroDevicesInc-RSXCM_22.10.0.0_x64__fhmx3h6dzfmvj
Faulting package-relative application ID: AMDRadeonSoftwareDesktop

- 10 -
ran furmark again with same results, i don't see a way to run it longer, there's a progress bar that completes, and it won't let me render above my monitor's resolution 1440p

the timestamps of the event logs are current with the crashes

- 11 -
there is a system log that corresponds with the application crash -
lvl warning, source display, event ID 4101
Display driver amdwddmg stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Well that gets you caught up to me, any ideas?

Thanks all

1 Solution
dunno
Adept I

I've a Saphire Nitro+ 7900XTX. To fix crashing I manually set the GPU clock Hz to 2501 with AMD's wattman. (Tunning > enable GPU > lower freq.)

I had multiple instances of 2077 and now Starfield crashing, Crashing in both games occurred quickly with the GPU's OEM over-clock and it took longer to crash with standard clock settings, but still crashes at some point.

I noticed with GPU-Z that the GPU clock frequency would max at some ridiculously high value prior to crash, 3059, which led me to setting the frequency manually.

I spent days trouble shooting hardware to eliminate my PC components as the source of the crash. I'm not impressed with this AMD product at all, months after release and their flagship GPU crashes because it cant run at maxed values, I just shake my head at this fiasco, unacceptable. I'm hoping they fix this soon as I'm looking at a 4090 if this issue persists. I can live with the decreased performance on my 4k~60Hz TV but my VR rig requires max performance hence my dissatisfaction with my 7900XTX.

View solution in original post

26 Replies
dunno
Adept I

I've a Saphire Nitro+ 7900XTX. To fix crashing I manually set the GPU clock Hz to 2501 with AMD's wattman. (Tunning > enable GPU > lower freq.)

I had multiple instances of 2077 and now Starfield crashing, Crashing in both games occurred quickly with the GPU's OEM over-clock and it took longer to crash with standard clock settings, but still crashes at some point.

I noticed with GPU-Z that the GPU clock frequency would max at some ridiculously high value prior to crash, 3059, which led me to setting the frequency manually.

I spent days trouble shooting hardware to eliminate my PC components as the source of the crash. I'm not impressed with this AMD product at all, months after release and their flagship GPU crashes because it cant run at maxed values, I just shake my head at this fiasco, unacceptable. I'm hoping they fix this soon as I'm looking at a 4090 if this issue persists. I can live with the decreased performance on my 4k~60Hz TV but my VR rig requires max performance hence my dissatisfaction with my 7900XTX.

i don't have amd wattman, but amd adrenaline does have a setting under the performance tab -> tuning -> GPU automatic tuning set to undervolt. that seemed to get me some more stability, but still crash what i would consider frequently but semi-playable

0 Likes

Yes in AMD's Adrenaline is where I've manually set the frequency.

the automatic gpu undervolting seems to more or less have solved it, thank you dunno

0 Likes

This is my second Gigabyte RT 7900 XTX OC Gaming card, having just returned the first one because it had the 110C Hotspot fault.

This card, while not having the hotspot fault, has crashed to desktop 7 times so far in 2 days while playing Starfield.
I'm going to ring my supplier tomorrow and see if they'll let me return it, so I can spend the extra and buy a 4090.

While I was RMAing the first card, I popped my old RTX 2080 Super back in, and had one crash in a week.
This is the first AMD card I've bought since abandoning them because of driver and stability issues over 20 years ago, and oh look, they still have driver and stability issues.

Seriously not impressed, especially for a card that costs £1,000.

I ended up RMAing the second card too, at which point my provider offered me a refund, so I used that and some extra to by a 4090, which has been performing flawlessly.

wc55595
Adept I

interesting, i'll try running GPU-Z to see if i'm getting the same thing. i'll bet issues with 7900xtx are why amd has said next gen they'll be focusing more on midrange

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1716740/discussions/0/3824174193412502547/

this is the original thread i'm coming from where someone else has suggested similar to what you're saying

0 Likes
Albert45
Journeyman III

I've been experiencing the same frustrating issue with Starfield constantly crashing on my system, which consists of the Radeon RX 7900XTX and the AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D. It's been a real headache, but I've been trying a few things to mitigate the problem.
0 Likes

what is your motherboard?

0 Likes
RodroG
Adept I

Hi. It hasn't crashed once here, though. I'm using an RX 7900 XTX (stock clocks) and i9-12900K (stock). I've been playing Starfield for 100+ hours so far.

i9-12900K | RX 7900 XTX | 32GB DDR4

Would you mind running GPU-Z whilst playing the game and tell us what the maximum frequency is that your card attained. In GPU-Z there's tiny arrows in the title's of the various fields, click just slightly to the right of the little down arrow to expand the list of variables that can be displayed.

0 Likes

Yes I too have well over 100hrs in Starfield on a Ryzen 5800x3d & Radeon 6950xt all at stock clocks, no issues.  Most problems arise from people tinkering with the sliders in Adrenalin for 1-2% performance increase. The frustration just isn't worth it to me.

Recently (after the FOV patch) I noticed the game doesn't run as well as it did before the patch.  

corruptedz
Journeyman III

Happens in the exact same way for me too: exact same issue. Do we have a solution to this? I've been running my card at 2400mhz whilst keeping max power allowance and voltage. Other than a driver issue/game bug specific to the 7900XTX, I have no idea.

The game ran just fine until I got to the first colony for the main story where moving the mouse had stutters after leaving the ship. That advanced to causing crashes when I moved the mouse slightly too fast. That was fixed disabling full-screen optimisations while running the .exe as administrator. Now I have this :')... it's like a weird progression of issues.

0 Likes
Killrockstar
Adept I

Are you guys using ultrawide monitors by any chance? there is a known bug where you have to disable dynamic resolution when using an ultrawide monitor atm.

0 Likes
dunno
Adept I

If you're using Adrenaline to under frequency/tweak the GPU remember to re-apply the settings if it crashes as Adrenaline software resets itself to default after a crash., its annoying but has to be done, or I guess export the settings and then import them after a crash.

I might try MSI afterburner to see if it retains settings after a crash.

0 Likes
sofmeright
Journeyman III

Any of you guys ever check to see if it helps making sure your desktop PC is the only device on the circuit breaker the outlet it is powered by is a part of? In my case doing that brought crashes down to null with all the settings on Ultra other than motion blur.

wc55595
Adept I

The recent patch seems to have solved my problem!

0 Likes
dunno
Adept I

Recent 7900XTX drivers has not fixed it for me it crashes quickly to desktop with default settings. I'm running my 7900XTX Nitro+ with GPU Clock manually set to 2500Hz, starfiled doesn't crash.

I've ordered a 4080 and I'll install it as a plug n play device without any special treatment, I'm keen to see if it works as advertised out the box. I'll report my findings here. The reason why I've bought the 4080 is because of VR which the 7900XTX cant cope with, it crashes with max settings along with flickering which renders VR unplayable for me. 

0 Likes
dunno
Adept I

I installed my new 4080, installed the driver, set > Max GPU performance in the control panel and the card worked flawlessly with all games that the 7900XTX was crashing with at default settings. Same FPS and excellent VR performance. The only thing I don't like is the 3x 8pin power chord splitter but I can live with that. I've ordered a 90 degree adaptor so that I can plug the 3x8 pins directly to the adaptor and bypass the messy three chord thing.

0 Likes
kabukijo
Adept II

Indeed, i can confirm that any "slight" OC , wheiter it's done by the user or by the manufacturer causes crashes in certain games.

And some games are more prone to OC than others for SURE ..

Like i have recently purchased an 7800xt (OC edition ←) .. And when using the manufacturers utility to use the OC preset profile.  I get like good speeds up to 2600+ Core Clock , and that results in quite some Fps gain ingame SF... But the crashes happends in like 10 minutes if you are lucky...

Setting the preset to default in that Tweak util, helps allot but like some one mentioned... Crashes still ocur !!!

but not that frequent... Even when preset is set to undervolt in that utility i have mentioned, crashes still happend..  It's clearly an BiG flaw ingame too i guess..

Cheers,

MOBO : ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) / CPU: R9 5900x /GPU: 7800XT → RTX 4070Ti / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz XMP/ SSD: Nvme ssd Pcie 4.0 / PSU: 850 Watt
0 Likes

One reason why I do not like factory aggressive OC cards. The potential for issues just increases considerably, and generally speaking, the OC benefits are no longer worth the issue for me. Then you need a OC profile to clock the gpu to standard clocks.

The latest amd driver also mentions some fixes for starfield.

0 Likes

+1 true ↑

Except, in benchmarks ofcourse you see a difference, but in real world experience, it doesn't make one difference regarding Fps gain!  However , it will reflect your electric bill !!!

MOBO : ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) / CPU: R9 5900x /GPU: 7800XT → RTX 4070Ti / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz XMP/ SSD: Nvme ssd Pcie 4.0 / PSU: 850 Watt
0 Likes

Have you tried leaving the voltage at default and setting the GPU frequency manually to default in Adrenaline ?.

0 Likes
dunno
Adept I

For those that experience frequent crashing with AMD GPU's during gaming try the following.

1. Set the PCIE version in your BIOS from AUTO to what the GPU supports, if it still crashes;
2. Manually set the GPU clock frequency in Adrenaline. Set whatever Hz your card's un-boosted default is (2650Hz for 7900XTX), or experiment manually in Adrenaline what the upper/boost Hz limit is ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S1opCRzk38

0 Likes
dunno
Adept I

Correction to the above post sentence:
1. Set the PCIE version in your BIOS from AUTO to what the GPU supports, if it still crashes;

It should be;
1. Set the PCIE version in your motherboard's BIOS from AUTO to what the MotherBoard actually is, if the motherboard is only capable of PCIe v3.0, manually set the MoBo to PCIe v 3.0. (If it still crashes),

0 Likes
chronicvex
Journeyman III

In Adrenaline software, under Graphics, did you set graphics to default and set a FPS cap so its not overworking when it doesnt need to be? I typically cap FPS at 150~ and it has solved similar issues. I have had no issues with the game using my Nitro 6900 xt SE, max game graphics set.

0 Likes