cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

gambit2k
Adept II

Short 1 sec stuttering/lockup on Windows 11 desktop but not in games with 23.1.2 drivers + 7900 XTX

I haven't seen this mentioned on here or on reddit so this might just be a problem that is just affecting my system.

But I get some sort short lockups that last maybe a second when doing anything on the windows desktop. For example if I press a link on a webpage the computer locks up for a second (including mouse input), and then it unfreeze and loads the page I'm trying to navigate to. And it seems only happens when the system is at basically idle. 

If I have a game running and I alt+tab to the desktop and start a browser windows it doesn't happen. And in games it doesn't happen either.

I was going to record the issue but I see that when I use the recording function in the adrenaline software the issue doesn't happen either. So if I use the 7900XTX in any capacity it solves the issue, there is something wrong with the idle state I guess.

Not much to complain about  really as going back to Adrenalin 23.1.1 solves the issue, just thought it was interesting to see if anyone has had the issue.

All the latest drives for everything updated, windows updates, latest bios etc.

System:

ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Gene| AMD Ryzen 9 7900X| Custom Watercooling| WD Black SN850X 1TB + WD Black SN850X 2TB| 2 x Patriot Viper Venom 32GB (2 x 16GB) 6200MHz CL 30-38-38-36-38| AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX| EVE Spectrum 4K| MSI MPG A1000G PCIE5 1000W| Lian Li O-11 EVO| Windows 11 Pro

0 Likes
3 Replies
Tozan
Adept II

I encounter this problem since some days, too. I don't know what is the cause. The complete Desktop is unresponsive for 1 second or so randomly. I don't know if its a problem of AMD drivers or Windows itself. I'm on Adrenalin 23.8.1

I have noticed that even the RGB lighting on my keyboard is freezing for this 1 second. It seems the complete PC hangs for a short time. But there are no entries in the event viewer or any anomalous peaks in task manager.

0 Likes
fozzy1414
Adept II

I've been getting an issue where windows and software aren't launching immediately. Explorer window sometimes hangs and fails to 'populate' straight away as well.

ie. When I launch a command prompt window, there's a slight delay before the inner window fills black. It's kind of hard to explain.

Presumed it was a Windows issues. Maybe not. Everything just seems to be a bit sluggish.

0 Likes
Tozan
Adept II

I have uninstalled 23.8.1 with DDU and installed 23.7.1 and the short random freezes seems to be gone for now. I'm not sure that the issue was caused by 23.8.1 but it seems like. 

If these "freezes" happen the hole PC is affected. If some video is playing it stops, the sound gets distorted, mouse and keyboard aren't reacting and how I said even the RGB-lighting stops for a moment. The PC isn't crashing or something, it only halts for a short moment.  

0 Likes