cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Mellin
Newcomer

Shallow dive into my freeze and restart problems with Adrenalin 24.7.1 (and 24.6.1 too I guess)

So here is the deal:
The last 2 AMD GPU driver updates (first Adrenalin 24.6.1 and then 24.7.1) have been buggy for me to the point where any 3d game launched on my PC would result in an instant system freeze and restart.

Because of that I just stayed on 24.5.1 and was ok with it.

I had some free time, so I decided to test some things and learn more about my problem with the newest driver.
This post is what I found out. No idea if it will help anybody, but maybe.

TLDR: Radeon Enhanced Sync looks to be broken...

Some disclaimers and info:
I run the Polish version of Windows and Adrenalin app, so the names of each setting might not be exactly the same as native English ones.
I only tested this with 24.7.1 (the newest at the time) so I have no idea if the 24.6.1 has the same issue or another altogether.
I also have not tested any specific settings combinations - hence the "shallow" dive.

My system specs:

Windows 10 Pro 22H2 10.0.19045
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X CPU (Ryzen Master overclock with Auto Overclocking and CO Per Core)
64 GB RAM (manual custom timings)
Gigabyte RX 7600 XT gaming OC GPU (AMD SAM ON)
ASRock B550M Steel Legend (with 3.40 bios)
Fractal Ion+ 2 Platinum 860W PSU

Fresh install of 24.7.1 after full DDU - no problems opening a game.
Going into the settings and turning everything on/off as I like it results in an instant freeze after opening any game.
After checking some manual settings, I noticed that the Radeon Enhanced Sync is the culprit.
If I set everything as I had it in 24.5.1 EXCEPT Radeon Enhanced Sync (default off + Wait for vertical sync on default Off unless app turns in on), games launch without issues and I have yet to see any other crashes or freezes.
...but if I turn on Radeon Enhanced Sync (either with all the other settings turned on as I want them or from a fresh install state) and run a game - freeze.

A somewhat full list of my settings changes from fresh (that work in 24.7.1):
Settings > Preferences > All Off
Settings > Access keys > Off
Settings > Screen > VSR > ON
Settings > System > preferred software version > Suggested + optional

Performance > Power > +20%
Performance > VRAM > Fast sync
Performance > Fan > Custom manual curve

Games > Graphics > Super Resolution > ON
Games > Graphics > Anti-Lag > ON
Games > Graphics > Video quality enhance > ON
Games > Graphics > FPS control > 144