cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

LambdaUser
Adept I

Second Monitor not detected after drive upgrade

I have an RX 590, I have been using this dual monitor setup with no issues, but after installing driver updates, my seconds monitor stays in standby and doesn;t light up and is not detected by the system.

Main Monitor: ViewSonic VX3276 4K

Secondary Monitor: Dell 2001FP

If I ALT+R and select "enable clone" in the top right, the 2ndary monitor lights up and clones the main display, so this is not an issue with a bad monitor

In fact I can then select "Extend these displays" in the windows control panel and the computer starts using both monitors, but switching users on the computer or rebooting seems to lose the secondary monitor, at least some of the time.

I tried uninstalling the drivers (use the AMD clean install that uses safe mode) and reinstalling but the problem remains. 

I also have another issue that I'll post in a separate thread where the main monitor goes dim when I extend displays.

2 Replies
LambdaUser
Adept I

I should also mention that if I plug both monitors in a laptop with a cheap USB-C docking station, both monitors do just fine, second monitor always works, brightness is as expected, etc...

I read somewhere that drivers 28.8.1 worked or someone with a similar problem, so I'm trying to figure out how to get my hands on that driver, and how to tell both AMD and Windows to leave it alone (assuming it works)

0 Likes

so I found Non-WHQL-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2020-21.8.1-Win10-64Bit-Aug10 and installed them. problem gone. Both monitors detected and the large display is able to dun HDR (so it's not dimmed as I mentioned in another post).

We'll see if it "sticks", I'm also not sure if Windows is going to override the drivers, if it does I'll resinstall 21.8.1 and figure out how to stop windows

I've seen posts from a bunch of people that have suffering he same issues since 2022 or so, so it seems that AMD has no intention of fixing the issue. I'll remember that when it;'s time to pick my next GPU.