cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

sirrah
Journeyman III

Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX550 has code 43 error

I have installed a Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX550 4GD5 graphics card in a Dell Optiplex 950 Windows 10 x64 Desktop computer. Intel Core™ Quad CPU Q9650 @ 3GHz and 8GB RAM.

However, under Display Properties it shows that only the Microsoft Basic Display Driver is installed. I have repeatedly reinstalled the driver software, uninstalling and rebooting first. I also tried installing in Safe Mode, but the installer won’t run in Safe Mode. Each time, the installation appears to succeed but, although the AMD installer shows that I currently have version 18.1.1 installed, Windows still shows the Microsoft Basic Display Driver. Also, the Radeon system tray icon shows the message: “Radeon settings are currently not available. Please try again after connecting AMD graphics”, when clicked. I have checked that the card is inserted correctly and that the fan is running.

Device Manager shows Radeon RX 550 Series under the Display Drivers heading but it has a yellow warning triangle on it. The Device Status is “Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)”.  I have tried this with various versions of the AMD software: 17.7.2, 17.11.1, 17.12.1, 17.12.2 and 18.1.1, which is currently installed).

Some advice on how to have the PC recognise the installed drivers would be most appreciated.

Thanks

0 Likes
9 Replies
Ray_AMD
Community Manager

Based on the Dell model you listed the first thing that comes to mind is that the motherboard used in this system is too old to support current GPU's.

In the bios...have you selected the discrete graphics (RX550/PCIE) as the 'primary'?

0 Likes

Thanks for your suggestion.  Sadly it didn't help.  The BIOS gace two settings - the in-built card or auto-detect and I changed it to the latter.

0 Likes

Then you shouldn't see the Intel graphics at all in the Device Manager.  I select 'hide update' but they show up again anyhow. I would install the other updates, reboot and check again. If it comes back with no updates available, then try a clean install again > Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

It is more probable that, as ray_m​ pointed out, your system may be too old to support it.

Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9650 (12M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB) Product Specifications

Is the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 still good for gaming? - CPUs

17.12.2 wont install error code 43

Code 43 errors on ASUS laptop with AMD RX460

Rx 470 error code 43

0 Likes

Kingfish

I tried the clean install procedure as detailed in the Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers link.  Actually, I did it twice in case I missed any step the first time.  I did at least get to a point where all drivers were removed.  However, after re-install the Radeon drivers were still not active.

ray_m

I take on board the point about the system possibly being unable to support the Radeon

Thank you both for your helpful suggestions; it looks as though I have reached the end of the road on this one.

0 Likes

Hi Kingfish I'm also have error code 43 on my thinkpad E580, can you help me? I've already tried installing different drivers but still got the error

0 Likes
perzosek
Journeyman III

Actually its down to third party sellers putting their own bios in the cards to OVERCLOCK mainly ATI.

First you must find where you card came from, get GPU-Z and copy/paste (device id) settings: 4 x 4 numbers into your browser and search.

Then compare it with a bare bones setting of the card with the one above that will tell you it has been overclocked or not?

Because the bios of the overclocked card is third party it will only work with certain drivers so.

The fix is to flash the bios back to the factory original.

I have found over 800 people with the same problem.

Find bios here

VGA Bios Collection _ TechPowerUp

Flash software here

Download AMD_ATI ATIFlash _ TechPowerUp

Flash at your own risk.

if it fails ie bricks, use another card as primary and put bricked card in secondary and flash.

0 Likes

Search for "atikmdag-patcher 1.4.7" in web. Restart your Windows. RESOLVED: Dell Optiplex 780 with AMD RX 550 2Gb PowerColor. Simple

This worked for me for the same Optiplex 780 but a Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 550 4GB.

0 Likes