cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Peter11
Journeyman III

RX580 Adrenalin 24.1.1 driver sound issues

I have a RX580 GPU on an Asus H270-Pro Intel chipset motherboard riunning Windows 10 64bit.  Installed the latest adrenalin driver, version 24.1.1 and wish I hadn't.  Impacted on sound both from my EVGA Nu Sound card and from the onboard Intel sound chip - choppy sound with pops and crackles, caused a total crash once.  Wasn't sure what the issue was so ended up re-installing Windows 10.  Came to update the GPU driver and problems started agaoin - at least now I knew the culprit.  Rolled back the driver, still problems, went back to the restore point I had created straight after re-installing Windows, still the problem persisted.  Have had to do another fresh Windows install.  I've wasted so many hours on this GPU. Conclusion, there's something in the Adrenalin 24.1.1 driver that once installed, can only be deleted by a fresh install of Windows.  So now I won't be installing any more Adrenalin driver updates - if it ain't broke don't fix it! This is the second time since Ive had the card that AMD drivers have caused problems. Won't be mixing an Intel chipset with an AMD GPU agin.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Peter11
Journeyman III

Replying to myself as seems no other way of providing an update.  Apologies to AMD, nothing wrong with the latest driver!  Found it was a recent Windows update (unknown) that was causing huge latency issues, specifically by storport.sys.  I found this using a programme called Latencymon.  I rather stumbled on the fix.  The fix was to go into my Asus H270-Pro motherboard BIOS settings , to Advanced/PCH Storage Configuration.  Each SATA slot is listed on my board as SATA6G_n, where n is the slot number.  For some reason the empty slots were Enabled.  I changed these to Disabled.  This fixed the latency issues and now no choppy sound.  It probably makes sense to disable unused SATA slots but it'd never caused any issues until now.  Hopefully this fix might help others with the same storport.sys latency issue.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Peter11
Journeyman III

Replying to myself as seems no other way of providing an update.  Apologies to AMD, nothing wrong with the latest driver!  Found it was a recent Windows update (unknown) that was causing huge latency issues, specifically by storport.sys.  I found this using a programme called Latencymon.  I rather stumbled on the fix.  The fix was to go into my Asus H270-Pro motherboard BIOS settings , to Advanced/PCH Storage Configuration.  Each SATA slot is listed on my board as SATA6G_n, where n is the slot number.  For some reason the empty slots were Enabled.  I changed these to Disabled.  This fixed the latency issues and now no choppy sound.  It probably makes sense to disable unused SATA slots but it'd never caused any issues until now.  Hopefully this fix might help others with the same storport.sys latency issue.

0 Likes