cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

JulienPE
Adept I

RX 7900 XTX Crashes under load

Today, I received my 7900 XTX order (ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX). I installed the latest drivers and decided to take it for a benchmark in 3DMARK Time Spy 4K. After loading the benchmark and it showing the first second or so of the scene, the system crashed completely (no blue screen, everything just went dark including case lighting). The PC would not turn on unless I drained the capacitors (unplug and hold power button for a while).

I'm guessing there was a power spike that triggered my PSU's failsafes, but that's not something I would expect from a brand new GPU that is not supposed to be overclocked.

Is this a driver issue or faulty GPU? Is anyone else experiencing similar problems with their 7900 XTX? Is there anything that I can do?

EDIT

My system is:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
RAM: 32 GB
Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 ACE
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX (ASRock)
PSU: Corsair HX1200

EDIT 2

It just crashed again, this time about 15-20 minutes into a Fallout 4 gaming session. It seems like it is very unstable at high load.

0 Likes
1 Solution
JulienPE
Adept I

Problem has been solved.

The issue was that my previous GPU was connected to the PSU with just a single cable that had two headers. Strange, since it was built by a professional, so I didn't bother to check. I connected a second cable and now it works fine.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JulienPE
Adept I

Problem has been solved.

The issue was that my previous GPU was connected to the PSU with just a single cable that had two headers. Strange, since it was built by a professional, so I didn't bother to check. I connected a second cable and now it works fine.

Hello

Quick question for you what port royal and time spy scores are you getting? I've got the same CPU and I think the GPU is really bottlenecked. I'm getting 10 k on both when I used to get 11k on port royal and 16k on time spy on my old 3080.

Cheers

0 Likes

Hi Baker,

I'm getting 21 132 on Time Spy and 10 945 on Port Royal. That sounds about right when comparing to your 3080 (ray tracing is still not that great on AMD cards). But the 10k on the Time Spy test seems off by quite a bit.

0 Likes