cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

xxmobius1xx
Journeyman III

RX 7900 XTX Boost Spike crash

So There seems to be an issue with overclocking on the latest driver 23.3.2.

When dropping voltage will result in the card's max boost clock going over the limit and the Vram to drop resulting in a crash.

It is a very weird bug, because upon clean install of the driver, it will OC fine, but after time it will crash, after that crash those clocks will no longer work forcing you to reduce the OC. Here's the kicker, after reducing the clocks and it working again, it will eventually crash and the cycle of reducing clocks will continue until you are back to stock clocks.

Uninstalling with DDU will get the highest clocks to work again but it will eventually crash and the cycle repeat.

Voltage averages around .980 - 1.0 never peaking above. Very perplexing.

Below I have Afterburner's graph showing the issue as well as my stock boost clock for the XFX merc 310 RX 7900 XTX.  

crash OC CORE SPIKE.png

crash OC CORE SPIKE ZOOM.png

0 Likes
4 Replies
digipointer0
Adept III

There seems to be an issue with the latest driver (23.3.2) and overclocking. Dropping voltage can cause the card's max boost clock to exceed the limit and result in Vram dropping, causing a crash. This is a strange bug because a clean install of the driver allows for overclocking, but over time it will crash and reduce the OC. Uninstalling with DDU will get the highest clocks to work again, but the cycle repeats. Voltage averages around .980 - 1.0 and never peaks above. The issue is perplexing and requires further investigation.

0 Likes

Yeah no matter what, even driver only this issue occurs and is greatly limiting the RX 7900 XTX from giving Nvidia a good sucker punch.

0 Likes
Panterbell
Journeyman III

This issue occured to me first when playing sons of the forest at launch, then in Avatar FOP and now in Helldivers 2. I found a reddit post that said lowering graphic to middle or low helps which is pain on a peak performing card. Didn't help for me. Some also said disabling Discord hardware acceleration helps. It did help in one way, because now if game crashes, discord doesn't. The most recent reddit fix i found was Limiting the card to 85% clock frequency and 98% Powerlimit. This now seemed to help, because I could play without crash after. 
It seem in some scenarios the card decides to boost too much for its own good and cannot handle it or something. Everything above 3ghz is dangerous and it loves to go there occasionally. 

0 Likes

Helldivers 2 crash frequently, my friend with RX7900 and me with 780M using this temporary workaround

from Steam -> Library -> Helldivers 2 -> Properties -> Launch Options

Add this:

--use-d3d11

now Helldivers doens't crash at all

0 Likes