cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Entity347
Journeyman III

RX 6800 XT complete black screen after update

Yesterday, I updated the AMD Adrenaline software and then went to sleep.

Everything was fine until today when suddenly both of my screens lost signal and went black while I was playing a game.

The game in question was a simple one that only used up a few percent of my computer's processing ability, so it couldn't have been the cause.

I was forced to restart my computer and after I did, only one of my screens was working.

I checked the Adrenaline app and it wouldn't launch because I didn't have compatible drivers installed?

So I went to the AMD website to re-install the drivers just in case, but after I did even the last remaining screen went black.

I tried restarting my computer but it didn't help and now both screens are not getting detected and there is nothing I can do.

I am forced to write this from my phone and completely unable to use my computer.

My specs that I can remember are:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9

GPU: AMD RX 6800 XT

I really, really don't know what to do.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Entity347
Journeyman III

Okay, so.

I finally solved it. 

I am completely befuddled, but this is what happened:

My Display Adaptor (graphics card) was disabled in the Device Manager.

I have no idea how this happened. I didn't even touch in the last month.

Yet somehow it was disabled like it was some kind of bad prank.

Anyway, now it's all fine.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
twibr
Adept II

load the window in safe mode, install DDU  and following the instructions in this program, remove all drivers that will be recommended for removal. After rebooting (in normal mode, download adrenaline 24.5.1, install it and write here what the result was.

i5-13400/ asrock Z790 PG Lightning D4 /32 GBytes DDR4 3200 Hynix/ ASRock 7700xt Phantom Gaming OC/ 1000w gold

At first after reading your comment, somehow, my computer managed to start-up with drivers disabled, meaning I was able to use one screen.

Using it I was able to uninstall the drivers, which was great because 1 screen is better than none.

But 2 screens is even better so I installed the 24.5.1 drivers as you said, but...

My screens are now both completely black.

I've been trying for over an hour already restarting my PC over and over again hoping for it to start without drivers.

No luck.

I installed the installer for the aforementioned version from the AMD's release notice page, but it must've been a general installer that just installs the latest version available.

For now I'll just keep on trying.

And once I do, I'll stay away from drivers because this experience was most unpleasant.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes

in the adrenaline settings, you need to remove the icon about automatic updates, otherwise, the program will update itself and version 24.5.1 will not survive.
Also, do not forget about the monitor settings in the window itself, in the settings tab, on the taskbar. I will take the liberty of recommending that you repeat what you did. Disconnect one monitor and if everything works out, thoroughly check all the settings and then return the second monitor to the system.

i5-13400/ asrock Z790 PG Lightning D4 /32 GBytes DDR4 3200 Hynix/ ASRock 7700xt Phantom Gaming OC/ 1000w gold

I didn't install the drivers after I managed to remove them again, and and somehow my second monitor turned on regardless.
I am able to use the things I need for the time being even without drivers, so I will avoid re-installing them for a while.

You will have to forgive me, but I became a bit scared of them after this experience, so I'll need a break before I try installing them again.

Again, thanks for your support.

0 Likes

Okay, I managed.

First I had to press Windows+R once after turning on my computer.

After that, I was able to enter the BIOS menu and through it start Windows while actually being able to see something.

Anyway, I am now able to remove the drivers, so I'll be fine I guess.

I can at least use the computer.

0 Likes
twibr
Adept II

How  run window 11 in safe mode 

0 Likes
Entity347
Journeyman III

Okay, so.

I finally solved it. 

I am completely befuddled, but this is what happened:

My Display Adaptor (graphics card) was disabled in the Device Manager.

I have no idea how this happened. I didn't even touch in the last month.

Yet somehow it was disabled like it was some kind of bad prank.

Anyway, now it's all fine.

0 Likes