Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

user15
Adept I

rx 6700xt crash

Hi.
After updating the driver to the newest version(24.5.1), The driver constantly crashes and black screen appears on gaming. Then I have to restart the computer. After restart I have to reinstall the driver because it is not working anymore. Everything was fine on older versions now older versions are the same. For a while I turned off every options like anti lag or image sharpening and it worked but now the same problem is back. please consider fixing this.
computer spec:
core i7-8700, two monitor 1080*1920(connected to hdmi) and 1366*768(connected to dp), asus tuf gaming b360 wifi, 530w power supply, 16GB memory on 2400mhz

I can assure you that the problem is not power supply. everything was fine until driver update And I was able to fully utilize the card with no crash or anything

0 Likes
6 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

We need more information my friend Information Required When Posting a Discussion - AMD Community

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
user15
Adept I

I tried every solution. the 23.10 driver was okay until I updated to 24. in this one crashes was not that much maybe once a week. but after updating to 25.4.1, it crashes instantly when card is 100% utilized. I tried ddu to remove both amd and nvidia drivers and a fresh install. I tried undervolting and decreasing the frequency. I tried every gaming option on amd software by switching on or off. I tried updating the system bios. tried second pcie slot also bios reset. I tried older driver versions too but it seems that the 25.4.1 did some thing to the card itself. I also tried bios switch on the card (the card is sapphire nitro plus) in all of three (preformance, normal and software) but the result is the same. even I disconnected the all of my hdds and fans to provide more power for gpu but as I guessed, it is not power issue.

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Have you tried a fresh Windows install, or using "SFC /scannow" and "dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth" and "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" in Windows Terminal as Admin? This might help.

It is my understanding drivers are not stored at a hardware level. Drivers are stored in the OS, so removing the OS and starting new may be a possible solution you could try. The GPU does not store driver data, and should be regulated by firmware on the card it's self. IIRC device drivers are layer between the device and OS that provide support for the OS or what ever software is being used, games or otherwise. 

Correct me if I am misunderstanding how drivers work.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

right now I have work to do. After I'm done, I will try windows fresh install and I'll update the discussion. tnx for the advice

0 Likes

Well, I teared down the card and found out there was short circuit in some areas with capacitors (on blue box, only horizontal capacitors have short circuit). It's interesting how it works for basic graphical stuff

IMG_20240609_210519_383.jpg

IMG_20240609_210524_151.jpg

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

That is unfortunate, friend. Is the GPU still within warranty?

0 Likes