cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Yuzuru
Adept I

Rx 6650 black screen, artifacts and freeze

Good day! I bought this gpu from Asus 4 days ago, and till now I have huge issues with it. When I installed new gpu I had old version of windows on my PC. So, when I tried to install Radeon software I got a black screen. After few attempts installed new windows. Tried to install every method on forum... Replaced gpu, deleted old drivers using DDU on safe mode, turned off MPO and fast boot, undervolted, installed different driver versions and nothing helped.

Often I have to reboot pc 2-3 times to boot it properly, because mouse and system freezes on desktop

Still can't open any game 

Once cod warzone, successfully opened and I had 30 min game session, in other cases games doesn't want to open, sound stutter, black screen and artifacts while loading . Shutting down with button only helps .

Sometimes it's OK in main menu, Tarkov, deep rock galactic, cod warzone and stalker, it happening Ingame or on the loading screen.

Screenshot_2023-08-11-11-21-32-650_com.miui.gallery.jpg

IMG_20230811_121647.jpg

My specs:

Intel xeon 2670v3

Motherboard: huananzhi x99-qd4

16 gb ddr4 Atermiter

Samsung m2 nvme SSD 

Sata SSD 256 gb

Psu: chieftec 650w

Asus Rx 6650xt 

Monitor BenQ 60hz full HD with DVI-Hdmi adapter (tried to direct connect to tv and got same artifacts on start screen)

0 Likes
16 Replies
Tozan
Adept II

For me it looks like some hardware failure. Maybe the VRAM on your graphics card.

Is it OK with another GPU or do you get the same artifacts and freezes? If you get the same issues with another GPU it could be the Mainboard itself or the system RAM. First, try to reset your BIOS/UEFI settings or load standard settings in BIOS/UEFI if possible.

0 Likes

Thank you for reply!

It was ok with my old hd 7850 2Gb in playable games.

I haven't tried it in new games, because of specs

Yesterday I pulled up motherboard battery for 10-15 minutes and reset bios.

but why sometimes games run fine, after few attempts, I noticed what it happening only while loading locations or levels, or before main menu loading

0 Likes

OK, if another GPU runs fine it is not very likely that the Board or the system RAM causes the issues. 
Maybe the graphics card, especially the VRAM, gets too hot. You can check the temperatures with Hwinfo64
(https://www.hwinfo.com (there is unfortunatley a lot of ads, therefore be cautious on what you are clicking) )

0 Likes

Thank you! I'll try

When I checked temperature in warzone, it was around 55, so I think it's ok?

IMG_20230809_180902.jpg

0 Likes

The GPU temperature of 53°C is really ok. Nothing to worry about. But what is the temperature of the VRAM? But I guess that this is also not an issue because I would expect high temperatures at the GPU, too, if the VRAM would have high temperatures. But who knows. Have you overclocked or modified your card for higher clock rates, higher power target or undervolted? 

The screenshots in your original post look like a serious failure of the graphics card. Is it a genuine ASUS-card or maybe a fake card from Ali-Express or Wish?

Edit: Ok, I read you have sound stutters sometimes. This sounds like issues with the PCIe-bus. Something causes a heavy load on that bus or causes many failures. Maybe you can try to remove the graphics card and reseat it tightly. 

Unfortunately your board has only one PCIe-16x-slot so you can't try another slot. But you can try to flash the newest BIOS available for your board. 

Edit 2: 
I read in another post that someone could solve his problems with a newer power supply. For me it was the solution, too. Admittedly the issues where not exact the same which you describe. We encountered freezes, black screens and random reboots but no artifacts. How old is your PSU?

Yuzuru
Adept I

I have not overclock, once undervolted , but unfortunately.

Got the gpu from computeruniverse, it's original.

Tried to reset gpu many times, didn't helped.

And I got only one PCI-e slot on motherboard

My psu is about 4 years, got it in 2019

0 Likes

Than it's very difficult to find the cause. The PSU shouldn't be the problem. The problematic one at my PC was over 7 years old and the actual PSU without any issues is also about 4 years.  

Have you tried a lot older driver versions like 22.11.1 or 22.11.2? It seems these driver versions are the best for the RX6650. If all of this doesn't help I expect a failure at your graphics card or mainboard. 

You can try to force the failures by benchmark programs which create heavy load on the GPU and the VRAM. E.g. FurMark for the GPU and MEMTestCL (https://github.com/ihaque/memtestCL) for the VRAM.

Is it possible that a friend of yours can test your card in its PC?

0 Likes

Thank you, I am about to finish all of possible solutions. Now I try to let windows install the drivers automatically, to install drivers like you said, uptake bios and replace  gpu into my friend's PC. If not I am gonna send it back to store.

Upd
Made a stress FurMark test with auto installed windows drivers.
Peak temperature is 68  with 50% fans and the power consumption is 150W, is it ok?

Same problem while loading in Tarkov, blackscreen while pc is running

But sometimes something give me power to play, just had a 5 minutes stalker session, after save button got this

IMG_20230813_113643.jpg

0 Likes

Hi,

the temperatures look really ok and the power consumption isn't worth mentioning. I wouldn't think they are problematic. If I look at your screenshots I would nearly bet on defect or overheated VRAM. Are there only this artifacts or is the PC completely frozen? 

But only to be sure it came from the card: is it possible to connect another display with another cable? Then I would recommend to test your card in your friends PC. If its running fine there something else is wrong with your rig. 

What are the CPU temperatures? 

And try driver version 22.11.2. Other people in this forum talk about that this is the only driver which works flawless with the RX66xx-Series for now. You can download it from here:
https://www.amd.com/de/support/previous-drivers/graphics/amd-radeon-6000-series/amd-radeon-6600-seri...

0 Likes

CPU temp is ok too, just replaced with my old gpu and it runs good, everything loads and I was able to play Tarkov with low fps.

Everytime I get artifacts with sound lag and can't do anything like on the screenshots , or just screen freeze and nothing works.

Idk, tried everything and I am very upset

Would never buy any AMD in future

Might be psi ? Cause my motherboard has 3.0, but gpu has 4.0

0 Likes

Ok, I see. 

So I think either your new graphics card is broken/has defects or isn't compatible with your board. Only to be sure: the external power connector (8pin) is connected to the card? Or have you tried another 8pin-connector coming from your PSU?

So the only way to be sure that it is an issue with the graphics card you have to test it in another pc. Or take it back to the shop and try to get another one for replacement.

0 Likes

Thank you for help

My PSU has two 6+2 pins 

0 Likes

I can feel your anger and frustration. I had it too with my card and was close to refund it and switch to nvidia. It took me a week to get it work like I expect. But in my case it wasn't completely the fault of AMD's drivers or hardware. It was some unfavorable interaction between Windows, the card's driver and my old PSU. 

Ok, your PSU has only 2 of this 6+2-Pin connectors? I'm a little bit wondering, because my old PSU had 4 of them and the newer one, too. You can try to test each of them. Are they on two different cables or both on the same cable? 

Edit: your question about PCIE. I don't think that this is a problem. My Board (ASUS Prime X370 Pro) has PCIE 3.0, too, and it runs fine with the 7900XT. 

0 Likes

They are both on the same cable

0 Likes

Than, maybe, this cable has defects. Its unlikely from my perspective but who knows exactly. I think the only way is to test this card in another pc. If it runs fine in another pc there are some issues with your board, the BIOS or maybe influences by other hardware you have installed. If you get the same issues in another pc than the card has defects.

0 Likes

Yeeah, you are right

If the same problem will be on different PC i am gonna refund it

I think variants are over. Thanks a lot for the help! I wish my problem never happens with other Radeon users