cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ldv6
Journeyman III

RX 5700 Black screen when starting Win 7, Win 10 and Linux Mint 19.3 after driver install

Hello! After installing a driver my new rx5700 causes black screen in Windows after starting. UEFI is ok, in Windows 7 I get a black screen immediately after (no output from the graphics card and the monitor starts cycling the inputs and then I get "connect cable" message). In Windows 10 I see the blue windows and rotating dots and again the same thing happens. Driver versions I tried were 19.xx from the manufacturers site for Win 7 and 20.1.3 and 20.2.1 for both Win 7 and 10 from the AMD site. Tried installing Linux Mint 19.3, downloaded driver v.19.50 from AMD, almost the same thing, I see a black screen again, only this time the monitor does not report no input. In all cases I hear sounds from the speakers, if I type the password I can log in in both Win 10 and Mint, but no visuals. Graphics card output (HDMI) is working when using Basic Display Adapter Driver in Windows and no hardware accelleration in Linux. Win 7 was a long time used install,  I changed the video card from HD4890. Win 10 and obviously Mint were brand new with the RX 5700 only. In the Windows installs I used DDU between drivers.

0 Likes
1 Reply
ldv6
Journeyman III

I've got an update. The video card, it turned out has been working flawlessly all the time! I first sent the card to the seller's service department and it worked there. They shipped it back to me and it didn't work on my system again. I then decided that PCIE compatibility seems to not extend as far back as I'd like, and decided to upgrade my MB, CPU and RAM to more current specs. Having done that the card didn't work again. The seller's service dept when called asked me to send the whole PC this time. There the techs figured out that at the back of my PC case the thin steel dividers between the expansion cards' places are a bit wider and have an angle curving out for rigidity, which prevent the HDMI cable from sliding fully in its place in the card, as the thick plastic on the HDMI connector hits the dividers. As a result, and for reasons unknown to me, the card had some video output when used with Microsoft's Basic display driver and none with any of AMD's! Since then I have corrected the offending steel piece and now everything is perfect! The card in question is Asus Dual 5700 Evo. I have no words to express how much it's low thermals and noise and high performance have impressed me since!