cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Coel427
Journeyman III

RX 570 Energy Consumption Spikes

Usage Spike.pngI've noticed that for a while my MSI Afterburner will show that my GPU is with a higher temperature in idle, only today I've seen that it also displays the Core & Clock being at their max, only for 2-3 seconds though.

Disabled Unified GPU Usage Monitoring, still happens.

My drivers are up to date, updated by BIOS too just in case I was missing something but they still happen. I'll test some games to see if the spikes still happen while something is fullscreen.

Any ideas of what this may be?

7 Replies
icynicx
Adept I

I'm also experiencing the same issue with my RX 580 2048SP (which, let's be honest, is basically a 570). I've seen some other people with the same issue on Tom's Hardware Forum. It's apparently related to the latest drivers, and I could verify that installing an older version fixed the issue. The one I installed was the 22.5.1, but apparently that's not available anymore.

frequency and voltage spikes.PNG

The thing that worries me the most is the fact that the voltage spikes are, IMO, way too high, sometimes going over 1,250v. And that's with an underclocked and undervolted card. I didn't get any of these voltage spikes with the older driver but maybe HWiNFO's readings aren't that accurate.

0 Likes

1 250v is too high. I was able to maintain 1350mhz with 1090v on a RX480. 

I would undervolt it. 

The Englishman

No, no, no. That's the thing. I HAVE undervolted it. But even with the undervolt, the voltage spikes go way up there. Apparently it happens for a split second and doesn't stay that high cause I've never seen it go that far. It's just HWiNFO's "Maximum" collumn reporting high voltages, as you can see in the screenshot (It's reporting "VCORE" because I edited it to show that with the RTSS ingame overlay; originally it showed "GPU Core Voltage (VDDC)").

icynicx_0-1676728914650.png

EDIT: When I say "the screenshot" I mean the one from the previous comment, with the HWiNFO stats.

0 Likes

Ooh.. That's odd... And HWiNFO is quite accurate.

Its ignoring completely the state7.

Can you adjust power tuning? Try to lower it a notch and measure again, it should constrain it a bit. Also check core clock to see if it maintains the 1200.

The Englishman
0 Likes
FcB-ZaRe
Adept II

I have noticed the spikes too where the gpu clock goes to 1264 and mem clock to 1750 but in my case the voltage only spikes to 1.018v. I have tested some things and i found that the culprit is Relive so i unistalled it. If you dont need Relive you could uninstall it too.

For uninstalling it:
1- unpack with 7-Zip the driver then find cc2-install.exe file and unpack it with 7-Zip too.
2- Inside the unpacked cc2-install folder click on 'CN' folder.
3- click on 'wvr64' and then right click the file 'wvr64.msi' and select uninstall from the context menu.
4- go back and click on 'amddvr' folder and do the same with 'amddvr.msi' file.
5- Reboot and voila, Relive is uninstalled and the problem is fixed. The con of this is that you lose the overlay too and you wont be able to use the hotkeys anymore.

Edit: in the case that you need Relive ,for streaming for example, dont undervolt your gpu because even the minimum undervolt (10mv)  causes the AVC encoder to crash or not initialize. Greetings!

Maybe it's a specific version of ReLive? I just tested the 22.11.1 driver and the issue seems to be completely gone. I don't use ReLive often but I can tell that the overlay and hotkeys are working fine.

22.11.1 driver.PNG

0 Likes

I really dunno but if i dont remember wrongly this happened to me with 22.11.2 too.
The overlay and hotkeys work for you because you didnt uninstall Relive, if you do then you lose this functions.
You can try to install the latest drivers picking the 'standard' or 'minimal' install instead the 'full' one because it wont install Relive and test if you get those spikes too, the con is that doesnt install the performance tab too.

0 Likes