Journeyman III
Journeyman III

RX 480 give me this error "atikmpag.sys VIDEO_TDR_ERROR"

Hi, I have Windows 10 desktop pc with:

CPU intel 6600k

GIGABYTE z170x-ud3 motherboard

RAM DDR4 16G

Sapphire RX480 8gb

and I have an LG ultrawide 21:9 monitor. 

I update all the drivers (CPU, chipset, MOBO, BIOS and last Radeon drivers 17.1.2). I don't have any temperature problem (no cpu or gpu overklock).

Recently, during my game session, the pc crash without any error message so i use "WhoCrashed" to find the reason.

This is the error message:

"This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (atikmpag+0xF3B4)

Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFE1081E826010, 0xFFFFF8058AD3F3B4, 0x0, 0xD)

Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

product: AMD driver

Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys "

I found in the forum this thread Graphics driver stopped responding and has recovered....TDR fix, I try but nothing cvhange.

That happend especially when I play not during the normal use.

Thanks

0 Kudos
12 Replies
aontto03
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: RX 480 give me this error "atikmpag.sys VIDEO_TDR_ERROR"

I've got the same problem, but instead I get blue screen of death whenever computer crashes, says the file that is messing me up is ''atikmpag.sys'' too. Also have a RX 480.

0 Kudos
redfury
Big Boss
Big Boss

Your GPU can be faulty.Try to downclock it a little. 1150MHz for GPU and 1750 MHz for VRAM

And RX 480 is very sensitive to power quality(PSU)

Run HWinfo64>sensors only>Logging start and play for 15-20 min. I want to see that log

sens log.JPG

0 Kudos
nicorobin12
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Thank you for your answer but I have three questions:

1- I start the process with HWinfo64 before or after the GPU and VRAM downclock?

2- Is better to run the program during gaming session or normal desktop use?

3- When you say the GPU can be faulty is because give me a strange error or for other reason?

Thanks

0 Kudos
windu190
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I'm having the exact same problem.

I have a Windows 10 Desktop PC with:

MSI 970 GAMING AMD 970 Socket AM3+ ATX

AMD FX-8350 Eight Core Processor 4.00GHz

Cooler Master GM G750M

Kingston HyperX FURY Black 16GB

MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB

I have a monitor with a 1920x1080 resolution (I always play at that resolution).

My drivers are all up-to-date and my PC is only 10 days old, everything is still brand new.

I didn't do any overclocking as I don't know much about such things. I don't have any temperature problems either.

So far the crash only happened when playing games.

I decided to do the same thing nicorobin12 did and get the crash log using "Whocrashed". There were 2 logs, both created at the exact same time:

Log 1

"On Sun 26-Feb-17 21:51:03 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\022617-28375-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (atikmpag+0xF3DC)

Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFAC8997C9A4A0, 0xFFFFF80A0556F3DC, 0x0, 0xD)

file path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0311139.inf_amd64_2aa9c01a2af97538\atikmpag.sys

company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver

Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.)."

Log 2 (pretty much the same as log one, except the code after Atikmpag.sys)

"On Sun 26-Feb-17 21:51:03 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (0xFFFFF80A0556F3DC)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFAC8997C9A4A0, 0xFFFFF80A0556F3DC, 0x0, 0xD)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0311139.inf_amd64_2aa9c01a2af97538\atikmpag.sys
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.). "

0 Kudos
krjdev
Adept II
Adept II

I had the same issue (BSOD). Fixed it with a better and stronger PSU in my PC.

0 Kudos
redfury
Big Boss
Big Boss

1.Before downclock

2.During gaming

3.If downclockig will help, it can mean, that your GPU cannot work on stock frequencies. But it is too early to make any conclusions.

0 Kudos
kingfish
Esteemed Contributor III

0 Kudos
nicorobin12
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I do the test 3 times. First with normal clock (1342 gpu, 2000 vram) and save the "report1". Second I unistall the amd drivers in safe mode and after reinstall the drivers (I found on internet this method and people say probably fix my problem) and do the test with normal clock an save "report2". The last time I try with downclock and save "report3". All during a game session in 20-25 miutes. Whith the "safe mode method" looks better, in 3 days I don't have any crash.

0 Kudos
nicorobin12
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I try, but nothing change.

thanks

0 Kudos