cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Naryle
Journeyman III

Resolution does not exist windows 10

I don't know if this has happened to someone before and I'm just missing it but basically two days ago I shut down my computer like normal ,and then when I turned it on the next day my resolution was lowered to 1440x900 and 1600x900(that's the best my 60Hz LG monitor can do) was nowhere to be found , my graphics card is the Radeon r7 360 and since it's now considered legacy there's no new updates on the driver that could have caused the problem. I have tried uninstalling the drivers and re installing them, wiping windows completely and re installing them ,and yet nothing has changed , I should also mention that I'm using an adaptor since the monitor only has vga but I find it hard to believe that that could be the problem(although I'm starting to doubt myself), searched the windows forums too and I haven't really found a solution there either. I really don't know what else to do. Also when I go into the advanced display settings it says that the active signal resolution is 1440x900 ,maybe that means something?

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Eliminater74
Adept I

It sounds like you're facing a resolution issue with your Windows 10 system, where your preferred resolution of 1600x900 is no longer available. This can be frustrating, but there are a few steps you can take to try and resolve this issue.

1. **Check the Monitor Settings**: Sometimes the issue might be with the monitor itself. Ensure that your monitor settings haven't changed and it's configured to support the desired resolution.

2. **Update or Reinstall Graphics Drivers**: Even though your Radeon R7 360 is considered legacy and might not have new updates, it's still important to ensure that you have the correct driver installed. You can download the latest driver available for your graphics card from the AMD website. Since you've already tried reinstalling drivers, make sure you're using the version that previously supported your desired resolution.

3. **Check the Adapter**: VGA adapters can sometimes cause issues with resolution settings, especially if they are not high quality or are failing. If possible, try using a different adapter or connect your monitor directly to the graphics card using a compatible port to see if that resolves the issue.

4. **Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)**: This is a third-party tool that allows you to add custom resolutions to Windows. You can use this tool to manually add the 1600x900 resolution. Be cautious with third-party tools and make sure to download them from reputable sources.

5. **Windows Display Settings**: Go to the display settings in Windows and check if the resolution can be changed manually. Sometimes, the desired resolution might be hidden under 'Advanced display settings'.

6. **Graphics Card Software**: Check the control panel for your Radeon graphics card. Sometimes, you can set the resolution through the software provided by the graphics card manufacturer.

7. **Monitor Driver**: Ensure that the correct monitor driver is installed in Windows. Sometimes Windows installs a generic monitor driver that may not support all resolutions.

8. **Hardware Issues**: There could be an issue with the graphics card or the monitor. If you have access to another monitor or another PC, try swapping them to isolate the problem.

9. **Windows Update**: Ensure that Windows is up to date, as sometimes these issues can be resolved with a system update.

10. **Reset Monitor**: Some monitors have a factory reset option in their on-screen menu. Resetting the monitor settings can sometimes resolve these kinds of issues.

If after trying these steps the issue still persists, it might be a more specific hardware problem that could require professional assistance.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Eliminater74
Adept I

It sounds like you're facing a resolution issue with your Windows 10 system, where your preferred resolution of 1600x900 is no longer available. This can be frustrating, but there are a few steps you can take to try and resolve this issue.

1. **Check the Monitor Settings**: Sometimes the issue might be with the monitor itself. Ensure that your monitor settings haven't changed and it's configured to support the desired resolution.

2. **Update or Reinstall Graphics Drivers**: Even though your Radeon R7 360 is considered legacy and might not have new updates, it's still important to ensure that you have the correct driver installed. You can download the latest driver available for your graphics card from the AMD website. Since you've already tried reinstalling drivers, make sure you're using the version that previously supported your desired resolution.

3. **Check the Adapter**: VGA adapters can sometimes cause issues with resolution settings, especially if they are not high quality or are failing. If possible, try using a different adapter or connect your monitor directly to the graphics card using a compatible port to see if that resolves the issue.

4. **Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)**: This is a third-party tool that allows you to add custom resolutions to Windows. You can use this tool to manually add the 1600x900 resolution. Be cautious with third-party tools and make sure to download them from reputable sources.

5. **Windows Display Settings**: Go to the display settings in Windows and check if the resolution can be changed manually. Sometimes, the desired resolution might be hidden under 'Advanced display settings'.

6. **Graphics Card Software**: Check the control panel for your Radeon graphics card. Sometimes, you can set the resolution through the software provided by the graphics card manufacturer.

7. **Monitor Driver**: Ensure that the correct monitor driver is installed in Windows. Sometimes Windows installs a generic monitor driver that may not support all resolutions.

8. **Hardware Issues**: There could be an issue with the graphics card or the monitor. If you have access to another monitor or another PC, try swapping them to isolate the problem.

9. **Windows Update**: Ensure that Windows is up to date, as sometimes these issues can be resolved with a system update.

10. **Reset Monitor**: Some monitors have a factory reset option in their on-screen menu. Resetting the monitor settings can sometimes resolve these kinds of issues.

If after trying these steps the issue still persists, it might be a more specific hardware problem that could require professional assistance.