cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

gman794
Adept II

Random BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE amdppm.sys Ryzen 7 7700X

I am getting the occasional blue screen DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE which I think is caused by amdppm.sys.

-When I use that program called WhoCrashed by Resplendence is indicating Driver power state failure to do with amdppm.sys (Please see screen shot).

-BlueScreenView by Nirsoft is blaming ntoskrnl.exe (Please see screen shot).

-Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Security and Maintenance\Problem Details isn't much help either (Please see screen shot).

is there anyone who can interpret a dmp file please?

I know it is something to do with AMD but I cannot work it out.

This was never ever an issue with AM4

Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: RTX 4080

CPU: RYZEN 7 7700X

Motherboard: MSI PRO X670-P Wifi

BIOS Version: 7D67v194

RAM: Teamgroup FF3D532G6000HC38ADC01 2 x 16GB DDR5 CL38-38-38-78

PSU: Toughpower GF1 ARGB 850W Gold

Case: Fractal Meshify 2

Operating System & Version: WINDOWS 11 PRO 22621

GPU Drivers: GEFORCE GAME READY DRIVER - WHQL Driver Version: 535.98

Chipset Drivers: AMD B650 CHIPSET DRIVERS 5.05.16.529

Background Applications:  CHROME, ZOOM MEETINGS & MSI AFTERBURNERScreenshot 2023-06-05 191158.pngScreenshot 2023-06-05 191255.pngScreenshot 2023-06-05 191402.png

0 Likes
29 Replies
Pygowsky
Adept II

Do you have a single cable with 2 ends from your PSU to your GPU, or do you have 2 separate cables from your PSU to the GPU? If you only are using a single cable with multiple ends for both spots, then your card may not be getting the proper power and you should try adding a 2nd cable.

@Pygowsky  its a 4080, He needs to check very carefully the 12vhpwr cable adapter, if its fully seated and has two or three separate cables well connected.

Since the error is stating amd driver, I would check the EPS cable, we had another thread that was it. 

He could also try and disable the iGPU because I don't know how MSI afterburner deals with it. 

The Englishman
0 Likes

I am using 3 seperate 8 pin cables into the 12vhpwr connector adaptor. The 12vhpwr is fully connected and seated. 

igpu is disabled in the bios already. 

EPS is the cable to the CPU. That’s definitely seated fully. 

0 Likes

I am using 3 seperate 8 pin cables into the 12vhpwr connector adaptor. The 12vhpwr is fully connected and seated. 

0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

Are you running a RAID configuration of any kind? What drives are installed in your setup? Are their respective firmware up to date?

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

No. Not using a raid setup. 

0 Likes
ZedEx48K
Adept I

Hi, I have the exact same issue with many parts the same as you, tried all the internet solutions for corrupt drivers etc, reinstalled windows and thought all was finally well, no issues for nearly a week, then boom, blue screen with the same issue, so you are not alone

GPU: RTX 3080

CPU: RYZEN 7 7700X

Motherboard: MSI PRO X670-P Wifi

32 GIG CORSAIR MEMORY

WINDOWS 11 PRO

Even bought a 1000W (Gold) PSU to rule out the old one, all none upgraded parts worked flawlessly in old AM4 build.

I’ve actually taken my AM5 motherboard out and put it back in the box and will look at it again once some bios updates have come out. 
I kept my B550 and 5800x3d which is now in my case and works flawlessly. It is so disappointing. 
AM5 is just plagued with problems and I’m hoping once a few new bios later it should be good to go but until then my AM5 board sits in the box in and on the shelf. 
I’m not convinced it is driver related. I’m am using the same type of SSD on my AM4 and AM5 system and and they all use the same chipset drivers so I blame some of the power and voltage settings in the bios. 
AM4 just works. 
Thanks for responding and I’m glad I’m not the only one. 

0 Likes

Yup, did the same with my old parts during the returns of the previous 2 mobos and parts I ordered, and on the 3rd time I even installed in a different case to rule that out as well, fingers crossed I'm 99% good now, but not on the latest bios either, the one before with the first voltage fix, and although I though it was completely wrong I even did the drive scan the other user mentioned, I was right, nothing at fault with them (and again, like you all parts were just fine in older PC, 2700X).  Also this time I chose not to install the MSI software, have you previously had it installed/running?

And fwiw I've found leaving the PC booting for a week or 2 without memory context restore enabled helped a lot with stability (now bedded in and enabled it seems to be ok).

What motherboard are you using now?

I’ve never used any of the MSI, windows actually tried to install the MSI centre it self.  

as for memory context restore I’ve left it disabled 

0 Likes

From what I’ve read online for our fault storahci.sys seems to be the culprit. storahci.sys has to do with sata drives. 
im using a NVMe for windows drive but I do have sata SSDs for games. Out of curiosity do you have a sata Drive in your system? 

0 Likes

I'm on the same board as you, there's an option in the bios to auto download MSI software that you need to disable to stop that.

Same here, I have a couple of M.2 and a few mechanical drives on SATA for large storage, I am set to a higher power use level but CPU etc still have low % possible, one thing I will say though, due to it supposedly helping boot times (and me having hot swap bays on my case) I enabled hot swap on all the SATA in the bios, whether that adjusts power profiles/states due to the nature of hot swap I have no idea.

0 Likes

I am in agreement now that it is the 'spin up' of rested state hard drives which is causing this, I've been noticing now and again the dum dink sound of something being unplugged, I think that's from the HDDs being rested, and when it comes to use them the access ultimately fails and blue screens.

So yeah, we set SATA drives to always on the mitigate this until we shout loud enough at AMD to fix it.

0 Likes

I've tweeted to various AMD entities, but I doubt I will hear back from them, does anyone know how to get this problem noticed by AMD and rectified?

0 Likes

I managed to get a hold of someone (nice bloke ), pointed them to this thread and have also sent some system info about this issue, reports, dxdiag etc, so hopefully we might see a resolution to this

0 Likes

I am not using any HDD in my computer.  I am using NVMe for Windows and several sata SSD for gaming. This issue is related to sata though. Must be one of my sata SSD involved. So we essentially we need to stop sata SSDs from sleeping or going into low power mode? I think low power mode on sata SSD is call Devsleep or something like that. Will future bios updates fix this? or chipset driver update fix this? Anything new from AMD always has issues. 

0 Likes

I used spin up as a term, rather than hardware

I am slowly progressing with support and sending information their way, I also managed to make it happen myself this evening, opened my sata drives (3) after the power down period, 2 were ok and one just got 'stuck' and stayed so till BSOD happened, so deff seems related to waking up in one way or another.

They asked for pictures of my wiring, I can understand why, but I don't mess around when building PCs ;D , and as we have both mentioned, our equipment has no issues in AM4 hardware.

0 Likes

I've set my sata ssds to always on now too. 3 days without a blue screen. However my blue screens were happening every 4 to 6 days before so it is too early to say if this work around fixes it. Will let you know.

0 Likes

I also trying something based on the info out there, I have attached my SATA drives to the outer 4 ports and have disabled the ASMEDIA SATA (inner 2 according to the manual) in the bios, since the info out there in the links here etc seem to point to those being the issue, again like you time will tell, but I went from nothing in well over a week down to at least 1 a day (I have a high uptime).

0 Likes

So I'm 100% stable now, and having relayed this with AMD the next step is I've contacted MSI (and hopefully via them ASMEDIA) in a hope we can get this rectified, I'm not gonna cross my finger as phone support was useless so I've emailed about it.

0 Likes

I've gone 9 days without a crash now just by having sata drives all on all the time like we've talked about.

For the first 7 days i was using the 2 middle sata ports (Asmedia) but i am now using the bottom 2 ports, The Asmedia ports are slower I've noticed as i did some benchmarks with CrystalDiskMark to prove it.

0 Likes

i am experiencing the exact same issues with a b550 and a ryzen 7 5800x3d. random power state failure bsod, after 1 or 2 restarts the pc just works fine and i can play and do anything i want with no issues.

0 Likes

same problem with the same motherboard we are using with a possible solution  

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-computer-buildinstall-and-getting-crash-fr...

0 Likes

I see that as more a workaround than a true fix, it's just killing power states and leaving your PC in full whack mode (Won't kill it, but I suspect it will use more electricity).

0 Likes

Yeah you’re right. A work around is not a fix.
We shouldn’t really need to do work arounds like this. 

I’ve seen a few posts like this now with this board now. So there is more. 

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

According your thread on Microsoft support, the issue seems to be the storage.

Use a powerful tool to scan for errors, like macrorit or similar. 

I had in the past a situation with my nvme, a strange crash caused heavy stuttering and disk errors. You could have some bad sectors or the OS could be corrupted. 

This is a tutorial to identify bad sectors and try to correct them. Give it a try. 

The Englishman
0 Likes

This SSD used to be in one of my AM4 builds and I never had this issue. I’m using a Samsung Evo 970 plus. As an experiment i installed Windows on my crucial P5 plus and I had the same crash so I don’t think it is drive related as I have ruled that out. 

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Have you tried disabling C-States?

I also found this 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bsod-amdppmsys/941dd57b-1bde-453d-a9d9-278942f...

The Englishman
0 Likes

I will check if it is enabled or not. 

0 Likes