cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Tinyskynet
Adept II

Radeonsoftware.exe still broken on current 24.5.1 and anti lag2 drivers

Ok, I am starting to wonder if anyone found a solution yet to the radeonsoftware.exe crashing problem. As soon as I enable afmf for a game, the radeonsoftware exe crashes and tries to reopen itself until I close the game.

Happens with the 24.5.1 driver(and the one before that) and with the anti lag2 preview driver of course too. From the date of the exe, they never really fixed the issue.

The only solution I've found so far is to replace the exe with the one from the 24.3.1 driver. That does work, does not crash, but won't show fps with afmf enabled. So, that is only a temporary solution.

0 Likes
10 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

This seems like an issue that should be reported using the bug report tool, with the steps to reproduce the issue. I have seen a few issues with the actual Adrenalin application posted here. I would report the issue and hope that someone in the community here knows how to fix it. Sorry I couldn't help.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
Tinyskynet
Adept II

Well, thanks for responding.

I reported the issue of course via the bug report tool and with steps how to reproduce it and also my temporary solution. Let's just hope they will find the bug and fix it at some point.

I actually went a bit further and replaced the exe with the one from the pro driver just to see what would happen and well, that worked too, but I would advise against it. I mean, mixing old gui's with new drivers does not seem to be the best idea.

0 Likes
WildPyro
Journeyman III

It is crashing for me also. Only version that works is the Pro Edition-22.q4. Everything past this version seems to immediately kill the Radeonsoftware.exe process. I tried uninstalling the most recent updates to Windows as I thought that might have been the problem, but no luck.

0 Likes
Tinyskynet
Adept II

Well, I tried the 24.q1.1 driver. At least that one is newer. But not sure how well newer titles run with it. And of course amd won't offer you that driver on their website directly(or for me the site didn't). But you can download it, if you want to try

https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/prographics/amd-software-pro-edition-24.q1.1-win10-win11-may-2024-co... 

Still, not really solution if you ask me.

0 Likes
johnnypretor
Journeyman III

I updated to 24.5.1 and while playing screen went off. After restarting my machine my gpu could not be detected. I rolled back to version 24.1.1 and everything working again. Sorry its not a solution to the problem but at least i can continue gaming. 

0 Likes
Tinyskynet
Adept II

Well, it is pretty obvious that whoever compiled the 24.5.1 driver and the exe did something wrong. And that is not the only thing that is wrong with that driver and also 24.4.1.

Kind of sad to be honest. AMD's drivers had a very bad reputation years ago. I guess history repeats itself.

0 Likes
Tinyskynet
Adept II

Update.

I just noticed something rather strange. When I install the driver 24.5.1 and don't reboot(I normally do after a driver installation) and just enter a game, radeonsoftware.exe does not crash, with afmf on, and does show fps correctly. But after a reboot, it does crash once I enter a game with afmf on. If I repeat that, install the driver again, it will only work until I reboot.

So, I am starting to wonder, what exactly happens after a reboot? I mean, yes, it is still a problem with the exe, because the older one works..but still. Maybe someone has an idea And I tried to check and change the permissions btw. no luck there.

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Like I have said before, the best way to get the developer's to pay attention is to report EVERY issue you can.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
Tinyskynet
Adept II

Well, I did of course report it again, with all the details I can think of. Maybe they will figure at out some point what the cause of it is. But for now, I'm no longer using amd's afmf feature. I got myself lossless scaling for framegen support now. For me it is the better choice till they fix it.

And btw, it still bugs me though that I have to use that instead of amd's built in feature.

0 Likes

It would bug me too, if I had the same issue.