Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

dutchy
Adept II

Radeon VII + AMD Radeon 2020 (19.12.x) causing PC to crash

Hi guys,

Since upgrading to the new AMD Radeon 2020 (19.12.3) driver, my PC is very unstable. In most games and benchmarks my screen goes black (actually in Battlefield 5 I've had most success in replicating it). After about 2-3 seconds the sound stops working and the PC either shuts down completely,hangs, or reboots itself. Using an older driver (the 2019 version) will solve the issue.

I don't think this is how it's supposed to work.

Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master X570 motherboard

AMD Ryzen 3950x CPU

32gb (2x16gb) G.Skill F4-3600C16D-32GTZN (XMP enabled)

AMD Radeon VII (stock)

So far I've tried everything. Full re-install, DDU, setting GEN3 in my BIOS. Re-installing chipset drivers. Undervolting... you name it.

Please look into this.

99 Replies
timebandit
Adept I

Re: Radeon VII + AMD Radeon 2020 (19.12.x) causing PC to crash

I have the same problem with my Radeon VII... I don't use the card for gaming but for distributed computing. My card is water cooled, so it definitely isn't a temperature problem, but I see the exact same things - black screens, system lock ups and spontaneous reboots. 

Tried the same things like dutchy, but only older drivers did solve the problems.

I wouldn't have a problem to use older drivers if they would work reliable, but unfortunately they (tried 19.7.5 and 19.9.2) have another problem - at some point the computation of the tasks is getting extremely slow.

I crunch mostly for einstein@home - normally a task runs in about 6 minutes,but sometimes after a few minutes, or afew hours they eventually "get stuck" or are just extremely slow running.

It's a shame to have an extremely powerful card like the Radeon VII but you can't use it's full power because of driver problems since I bought the card in May 2019. There's not one single driver I tried since then that hasn't had any problem...

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero, Ryzen 9 5950X, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz CL16, Radeon VII
unloadedone
Adept I

Issues all over the place after this update.  My PC is almost unusable.  I don't even have to be playing a game to have the screen go black forcing a restart.  This is worse than the day one drivers for this card.  

erickruse1
Adept I

I have to use AMD High Definition Audio from  3/18/2019 and Display Driver 8/16/2019.  These two are the auto install drivers in Windows 10.  

With driver 19.12.3 my system will crash when playing videos in Microsoft Edge.  With any earlier driver (not default windows driver), I will get tremendous audio bus latency issues that will eventually freeze the system. (LatencyMon program)

Here's the best part... I thought this was some failing part of my system that was not related to the Radeon VII.  I proceeded to purchase all new components, one component at a time in my effort to troubleshoot this system.  I now have two completely unrelated systems which exhibit the same symptoms if I put the Radeon VII in them with a particular set of drivers.  I can duplicate the exact issues between a Haswell generation i7 system with a 650w bronze PSU and a brand new Ryzen 3 3600 with a 850w gold PSU for each driver set, on a new Windows 10 installation with all the latest updates.

I wonder what brand of Radeon VII are you all using?  I wonder if we have defective cards.  I have an XFX card. 

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

Driver issues should be reported to AMD > https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

unloadedone
Adept I

I got my VII directly from AMD. 

0 Likes
timebandit
Adept I

I have a Sapphire Radeon VII.

I don't believe that my card is defective, because I'm seeing different errors with different driver versions...

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero, Ryzen 9 5950X, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz CL16, Radeon VII
0 Likes
timebandit
Adept I

Ok, thank you! I'm just installing 19.12.3 again to collect some error messages I'm getting with that driver.

0 Likes
dutchy
Adept II

It's not brand related. All Radeon VII's are pretty much equal, excep the stickers on it. They're all made by AMD.

I have an Asrock.

dutchy
Adept II

Thanks! Let us know if you hear back from them! It seems to be a Radeon VII-wide problem.

0 Likes