cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

美優梨
Adept I

Radeon Software: GPU Utilization 100% bug

Occurs when the following settings are made in some video games.
Remains at 100% usage even after exiting the game program.

The Talos Principle: OPTIONS - GRAPHICS OPTIONS - GRAPHICS API - VULKAN
Tom Clancy's The Division: Options - Video - Enable DX12 Renderer. - Yes
Tom Clancy's The Division 2: Settings - Video - Enable DX12 Renderer - Yes

rsbug_100percent.png

This can be fixed by exiting AMDRSServ.exe, but this is a bad solution.

kill_process.png

Adrenalin 21.9.2
Radeon RX 580
Windows [Version 10.0.19043.1237]
Core i5 10400

45 Replies
美優梨
Adept I

Re: Radeon Software: GPU Utilization 100% bug

Adrenalin 21.10.2
and
The Division 2(Direct3D 12)

The same problem was also observed in Ghost Recon Breakpoint (Vulkan).

美優梨
Adept I

[video]

KermyChamp
Adept I

I have this problem too, after playing Doom Eternal the gpu mantains at 100% all the time (RX 570). It looks like a Polaris exclusive bug.

gtrabach
Adept I

I also have this problem when using a Vulkan API game (e.g. Doom 2016). DX9/11/12 games don't have that problem. Using a RX 470 with Adrenalin 21.12.1.

Does anyone knows how to fix it?

Scorpio1941
Adept I

This BUG is happening, AMD knows this, I've tried contacting them via support email, after long ping-pong they just ignored me.

Okay, problem lies here: GPU video encoder gets stuck while playing certain DX12 and all Vulkan titles.
I have several workarrounds:

Method 1. (100%effective): Exit Vulkan/DX12 game that causes 100% utilisation bug. Then on desktop record couple seconds video of your desktop with Radeon Re-Live.
GPU will revert to idle state. https://prnt.sc/YUVYGQkzb88W

Method 2. (95% effective): install GPU-Z. Right beside Bus interface (PCIe) there is the question (?) mark. Click it and side window will appear. Then start render test in fullscreen. Wait couple of seconds for Radeon software logo to appear on top right corner of your screen. Press ESC and check your GPU clocks/usage. https://prnt.sc/RMOHbDEJ8Rgi

Method 3. (100% effective): temporary launch an DX11 game and exit.

Method 4. : Re-install radeon drivers without Radeon Relive recording software (works 100% but you loose gameplay recording capability). Radeon Re-live IS THE CULPRIT OF THIS, especially on older polaris cards.

Method 5. -Ditch AMD (ex Ati) Radeon brand get nVIDIA card (you'll be da*mn right that my next GPU will be from nvidia, I'm tired of this ATi sh*t since radeon 9500 pro back in 2000's. AMD/ATi drivers are simply I-N-F-E-R-I-O-R, what you save in $, you pay with headache's). When nvidia f*cks something up, they driver R&D team fix it in no time, simply because their company invest more money in driver development and have more qualified manpower at their disposal. Nvidia doesnt bother with updating it's "old-style" control panel (what aint broken don't fix it philosophy), they bother at performance and bugfixes.

doncor7
Adept I

I am also having this problem. RX 590

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X; MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon MAX WIFI; Sapphire NITRO plus RX 590 8G; 16Gb DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z 3200GHz CL14; Seasonic Focus-GX-750W 80 Gold Plus; LG 27GL650F UltraGear 144 Hz FHD; Windows 11 Pro x64; Kingston KC2500 M2; Crucial MX500; WD Blue - 1T 2x.
0 Likes
Scorpio1941
Adept I

Try Adrenalin 21.8.2 Recommended (WHQL) from 2021.
You can still find those drivers here:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/rade...

Unfortunatelly, that is the last driver revision that doesn't have this weird bug. I've tested it on my RX570 4GB. AMD F***d something up.

Matt_AMD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the posts, we are investigating this issue and I will update the discussion as soon as I have more information. 

nonametoday
Adept II

Just want to add that Doom Eternal has the same bug. I already sent a report as well.