cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Radeon Adrenalin 23.9.2 on 6950XT Crashes

Im running into a problem with Radeon Adrenalin 23.9.2, after the update/install, if i try to open the Adrenalin software it never opens (crashes in the background), typically i double click the icon in my task manger to open it.  I have uninstalled Adrenalin software, i have used the clean install utility.  I have downloaded the WHQL driver install from the AMD site for the 6950X but still anytime i try to open Adrenalin it crashes.

Specs

Windows 11

AMD Ryzen 3900X

AMD Radeon 6950XT

32 Gig of Corsair Ram

1 Terabyte Operating NVME drive 

0 Likes
1 Solution

So i did some research, that directed me to use DDU to uninstall any and all GPU drivers (i had an Nvidia card 4-5 months ago), however DDU would not work in Safe Mode for me, so i went ahead and formatted my C drive and reinstalled Windows 11, with that said Adrenalin now works with the latest install - 23.9.2 on my 6950XT, not the greatest solution but worked for me.

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Same problem!!!! I really love how these drivers get BETTER AND BETTER every update (22.5.1 is still the most stable 6950XT driver to date btw)

MikeySCT
Challenger

There are now two versions of 23.9.2, one's (600+MB) is for Polaris and Vega, and the other (>1GB) is for RDNA/RDNA2/RDNA3 for both Win10/11. Something of a mess, I'd downloaded the Polaris one without realizing it, but had not installed it. I have the >1GB version downloaded but I'm waiting for feedback before installing it.

AM4 R9 5900X | GB X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX |Samsung C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 FS 2 | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | CM H500M | Win11 Pro 22H2
DaBeast02 - AM4 R9 3900X | GB X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Acer XR341CK 34" 21:9 FS | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | SOLDAM XR-1 | Win11 Pro 22H2
0 Likes

I'm having the exact same problem. The software immediately crashes and no matter how many times I uninstall and install, the problem remains. I have a 7900XT and a 7700X. When I go to the driver download page, I can only find the 600MB file, not the 1GB file that is mentioned earlier. Could you tell me where to find that 1GB version?

0 Likes

Amd removed that one, I assume it has issues, there is a 640mb one now. Not sure if you are using that one, but if you are not, try redownload and try again

0 Likes

Yeah I've used the 640MB one, which is the only available one at the moment. Same issue, the software immediately crashes. Everything else is working fine I just can't use the damned adrenalin app.

0 Likes

Don't use the 1GB+ driver, amd has removed it, I used it and it was no good. Amd released a separate one with rdna I. The file name, I just installed it and shall see how it goes

Yeah, saw it on guru3d, there's a 640MB version of the driver that is specifically for RDNA/RDNA2/RDNA3

AM4 R9 5900X | GB X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX |Samsung C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 FS 2 | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | CM H500M | Win11 Pro 22H2
DaBeast02 - AM4 R9 3900X | GB X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Acer XR341CK 34" 21:9 FS | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | SOLDAM XR-1 | Win11 Pro 22H2
0 Likes
cwiggles
Elite

I think the 1GB+ version was for Polaris and RDNA cards, hence the "Combined" in the filename. I guess the installer failed to detect the correct chipset though and installed the wrong drivers in some cases.

Just pure 100% unadulterated speculation on my part though. 

djasthma
Adept III

so an update from my tests, all is well. been over 12 hours and not a single issue. i used ddu (and cleaned the registry entries) to reinstall 23.9.1 then updated to 23.9.2 via AMD software and everything is good so far. i also saw this post:

Radeon Adrenalin 23.9.2 FIX!!! (UPDATE) - AMD Community

Don't know if this works, but might also explain why mine is stabe right now, as i have a cleanup sweep sceduled which may have fired between installs. 

If mine goes south or stays stable i shall provide another update. 

I gave up and downloaded 3rd party drivers. Everything works perfect, all the bugs I’ve had for past year are gone. Community drivers are better than official who knew

djasthma
Adept III

Here is an update to my update, pushed over 24 hours, but it just started again. doing further analysis of the issue and how it presents itself it is linked to the browser (edge in my case) and how hardware acceleration is used by it while using the 23.9.2 driver. if you take off hardware acceleration you should not have the issue. THIS IS NOT A SOLUTION, just a work-around and till hopefully it is fixed in the next driver release as Obviously, this means any app which uses gpu acceleration the same way the browser does would have a similar issue., I shall send my finding via support ticket to amd.  i shall post an update if i find out more.

For what it is worth, at my work we disable hardware acceleration as a standard as it just caused too many application stability issues, not just in browsers (Edge, Chrome, FF) but also essentially every MS Office application and this on a mix of laptop h/w specs that covers Intel. Nvidia and AMD. Mostly Lenovo laptops but a few Dell and MS Surface Pros. 

0 Likes

So i did some research, that directed me to use DDU to uninstall any and all GPU drivers (i had an Nvidia card 4-5 months ago), however DDU would not work in Safe Mode for me, so i went ahead and formatted my C drive and reinstalled Windows 11, with that said Adrenalin now works with the latest install - 23.9.2 on my 6950XT, not the greatest solution but worked for me.