cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

brucer
Forerunner

Re: R9 290 died...after installing crimson edition 16.15.2211 with hotfix. SCANDAL !!!

I'm thinking about it myself.. I havent bought a nvidia gpu in well over a decade but I think thats about to change..

waltc
Miniboss

Re: R9 290 died...after installing crimson edition 16.15.2211 with hotfix. SCANDAL !!!

Mostly people are doing something like flashing-in a custom bios/overclocking/overvolting/running too hot, etc., ad infinitum--and cards go "pop!" at some point.  But to be honest about it, I've actually never lost a single 3d GPU from any manufacturer that simply expired (ATi, AMD, nVidia, 3dfx, STB, and others.)  Never lost a single card.  Came close, however, with a 3dfx V5 5.5k circa ~2000-2001 or thereabouts...;)  I had changed heat sinks and was overclocking the crap out of the card--when suddenly it just went blank--wouldn't put out a signal of any kind (VGA or otherwise.)  Put the original heat sink back on, and had rebooted about ~6 times consecutively and was preparing to give up when suddenly--ta-da--I got signal!  System booted, and never had a moment's trouble afterwards.  That was the closest call I've had since I bought my 3dfx V1 circa 1997-8?.  But I probably don't use a GPU more than 18 months-2 years max, if that long.  So, I suppose just plain longevity could be a culprit.

Don't see how just a set of software drivers could burn out a card--even if the drivers grossly overclocked the card somehow--it would just lock up as opposed to dying, and would unlock as soon as clock/temps got sorted.

I do know, however, that as GPU manufacturing processes get smaller the chance for electromigration damage from overvolting and overclocking rapidly increases--but the same thing happens with cpus, too.    When you get to 14nm best observe stock voltages and cooling much more stringently, imo, if you want the processor to last.

0 Kudos
brucer
Forerunner

After I installed the driver, this was a couple months ago, so it was one of the oldest crimson drivers maybe one of the first ones put out.. I noticed my r9-290 hit its temperature threshold and throttled itself, it got hot enough to do that, so an older card could definitely get hurt or toasted.

0 Kudos
brucer
Forerunner

good song from my high school days.

0 Kudos