Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

BeaZurdi
Journeyman III

"failed to initialize graphics backend for opengl" when updating drivers

Hello,

I'm getting this error when updating my graphic drivers "failed to initialize graphics backend for opengl". Any hint to solve it? I warn you, I'm not an expert with computers .

thanks

0 Likes
1 Reply
Glexmaxwell456
Journeyman III

To resolve the "failed to initialize graphics backend for OpenGL" error when updating your graphics drivers, try the following steps:

1. Restart Your Computer: Sometimes a simple restart can resolve driver initialization issues.

2. Reinstall Graphics Drivers:

• Uninstall the current graphics driver via Device Manager:
      1. Press Win + X and select Device Manager.
      2. Expand the Display adapters section.
      3. Right-click on your graphics card and select Uninstall device.
      4. Check the box for "Delete the driver software for this device" and click Uninstall.
    • Download the latest drivers from the official website of your GPU manufacturer (NVIDIA, AMD, or Intel).
    • Install the downloaded drivers and follow the on-screen instructions.
  3. Update OpenGL:

• Ensure that your graphics drivers support the latest version of OpenGL by checking the specifications on the manufacturer's website.
    • Some applications might require a specific OpenGL version; make sure your hardware supports it.
  4. Check for Windows Updates:

• Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and click on Check for updates. Install any available updates and restart your computer.
  5. Install DirectX:

• Download and install the latest version of DirectX from the official Microsoft website.
  6. Run as Administrator:

• Ensure that the application you're trying to run with OpenGL is executed with administrator privileges; Right-click on the application's shortcut and select Run as administrator.
  7. Check Compatibility Settings:

• Right-click on the application's shortcut, select Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, and try running the application in compatibility mode for a different version of Windows.
  8. Scan for System Errors:

• Open Command Prompt as an administrator and run sfc /scannow to check for and repair system file errors.

If these steps do not resolve the issue, consider seeking help from a more experienced user or a professional technician.

0 Likes