cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

yobany_jr
Journeyman III

Problem with hardware acceleration in chromium browsers

Indeed, I recently bought the laptop from which I am writing this post, and since then, I have noticed that both the display drivers installed by windows update and those that I download from the AMD website, generate a problem with chromium browsers.

The drivers cause the mouse to "disappear" or "turn white" in certain areas, such as the address bars, and also make the shadows in the menus or browser windows sometimes opaquer than they should be. Anyway, all this is fixed when I disable the "Use hardware acceleration when available" option, but this causes lousy performance in some places. I've been waiting for a while to see if AMD updates will fix the problem, but currently with version 23.2.2 the problem continues, I'm tired of this, if anyone knows how to fix it, I'd really appreciate it.

I know the problem is with the display drivers because I have reinstalled the system from scratch to see if that fixes it, and the problem doesn't appear until the display drivers are installed.

3 Replies
vishvajit
Adept III

It sounds like you are experiencing a graphics driver issue with your AMD GPU and Chromium-based browsers. Here are a few steps you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Make sure you have the latest version of the browser installed.

2. Try disabling hardware acceleration in the browser settings. This may help to improve performance.

3. Check if there are any pending Windows updates and install them if necessary. Sometimes, installing the latest updates can fix issues with the graphics driver.

4. Uninstall the current graphics driver and install an older version. Sometimes, newer drivers can cause compatibility issues with certain applications.

5. Contact AMD support for assistance. They may be able to provide more information on the issue and suggest possible solutions.

It's also possible that the issue may not be related to the graphics driver, but rather a problem with the specific Chromium-based browser you are using. You could try using a different browser to see if the problem persists.

newby
Adept I

Multi plane overlay is broken in drivers after 22.5.1

Either revert to  22.5.1 or disable mpo with following registry setting

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Dwm]
"OverlayTestMode"=dword:00000005

tomasmark79
Adept I

Hello. 
I am very happy that I can share my experience.

I have bought this awesome laptop machine ZBook Firefly 14 G10 A.

Unfortunately I'm facing regularly issues from the begin I am owner of this device and the issue is regarding to video playing in any web browser.

Issue:

Playing video stream from the web (YouTube, Vimeo, Twitch) is failing randomly. More frequently if Windows UI is actively used.

Fixes:

I tried already all the possible solutions at the begin with reinstalling OS, Drivers, latest BIOS firmware.

Issue is something solved for several days and later is coming again back.

Bug:

As I am technical professional and I have more than twenty years of IT experience I guess it is software bug. I can't specify if the problem is where but need to be analyzed and fixed by responsible people.

Solution:

If somebody here from the HP Members is available to forward this message deeper technical HP engineers, it would be very useful. This issue looks like need to be fixed by HP developers and their Hardware drivers. 

Reproducible:

The issue is reproducible on each laptop with the same hardware configuration and latest Windows 11 to date 13.5.2024.

Thank you

Tomas

0 Likes