cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

RHK111
Journeyman III

One of the causes of a large stutter RX 7900XTX (Solved)

Last December I mounted full AMD pc:

Asus ROG Strix X570E WiFi II,

Ryzen 9 5950 X,

G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600 PC4-28800 32GB 2x16GB CL16,

Sabrent 2TB Rocket Plus G Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280,

Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1000W 80 Plus Gold Modular,

NZXT H710i,

AiO NZXT Z63,

AMD RX 7900 XTX 24GB GDDR6.

At first the PC was working with an old ACER 24" monitor (not Freesync, more than 10 years old). Despite the first VGA drivers in benchmarks and games I have not seen any alarming temperatures or stutters, only tearing - but it was quite logical despite many FPS.
1 month ago I finally bought the LG OLED 42C2 (4K@120) as my main monitor and detected some strange stuttering since it didn't appear randomly - it was every 1 minute, accompanied by a 90% drop in power/GPU frequency (FPS from 80 dropped to 8 or 20). I sent a report to AMD mentioning that the tests were done in: benchmarks, TotalWar, DCS, War Thunder and exactly the same thing happened in all of them. I ruled out that the VGA would be wrong from the factory and I began to investigate for 2 weeks. I have tried changing both GPU and Chipset drivers (using AMD Cleaner and DDU). I have changed settings in the UEFI for the different tests. I have removed the new monitor and then the old one (I work with 2 monitors). Total that yesterday it occurred to me to remove the wallpaper slideshow of Win10 that with the old monitor I had it in 1 day change of image, but with OLED as a precaution I changed it to 1 minute. That 1 minute interval was the exact interval for the stutter to appear.

AMD RX 7900 XTX stutter.jpg

I tried putting the wall change to 10 min and stutter appeared every 10 min. In short, with the RX 7900 XTX to play you have to put the change every several hours or day, leave it with a static image or put a black background in my case (due to the OLED issue). Obviously when I leave game sessions, I put the slideshow back every 1 min.
It's a rare case since I think it shouldn't happen and I hope that AMD notifies users if they detect the same problem, because in case of small stutters my gameplay is not affected and everything goes very, very smooth. The problem is a stutter that drops below 40 FPS and that's where Freesync that my LG has can no longer do anything (Freesync range 40 -120 FPS).

Now I just hope that the issue of too much power that the GPU has at idle is resolved (mine has about 96W), because I have already seen users who with other configurations and the same GPU already have only 36/40W at idle.

I hope that helps similar cases and is investigated by AMD DEV Team.

Best regards RHK111

2 Replies
Equi
Journeyman III

Push, Push, Push!
My hero and saviour RKH111, im nearly in tears, so happy am I, that I am finally able to use my system as it is intended to... As you might assume, I've gone through all possible solutions for that issue in the last few weeks until I finally stumbled upon your thread and found a working solution. Tested in all affected games (which are tbh, all of them) and had no further stutters etc.
This needs to be far more up in the google results, since this might be a solution for many people who run multiple screens.
Thank you so much, if I can order you pizza let me know

Just for the sake of keywords for the google crawlers I'll leave some of them here: Sapphire Radeon RX 7900XTX, Stutter, Lag, Freeze, Jitter, Micro-stutter, 

Best regards
Equi

0 Likes
RHK111
Journeyman III

I think that new drivers for all 7000 serie have the problem with changing windows wallpaper. In my old PC with Sapphire Radeon 290 I don't detect this stutter. THX for pizza but I am full

Best regards.

0 Likes