cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

darkestdata
Journeyman III

Nvidia or not Nvidia that is the question.

This is to AMD and my fellow AMD users, I was/am a die hard Nvidia fan until recently. I started having issues with my old card, and it was real old, Geforce 550 TI. In my quest for a new video card I listened to a friend and decided to give AMD a chance. This was in anticipation of playing GTA V in very high or ultra mode. Now here are my system specs,  

Windows 8.1 64-bit,  AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 32nm, 12.0GB Single-Channel DDR3, Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. 990FXA-UD3, Acer X223W

3072MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series Sapphire, 931GB Seagate. Not the top high end but not bad.

Installed the game and all I get is stuttering, pausing, and crashing. Running the in game program I am lucky to get 30 fps. To make it even more annoying it will run from 12 fps to 28 fps, back down to 11 fps then to 32 fps. I haven't tried to overclock and everything is running at default. My Radeon card has 3 gigs of memory. Any advice to make this work would be greatly appreciated. If not then I will become another loud voice shouting to the masses the superiority of one Video company over the other.

0 Likes
8 Replies
gakagammy
Elite

Re: Nvidia or not Nvidia that is the question.

I read that GTA5 takes up a bit of ram for one but looks like it should run fairly smooth. I know when GTA5 released AMD released new drivers. Make sure your drivers are up to date in Catalyst Control

0 Likes
iwalkwithedead
Challenger

This is what I would do, to go along with gakagammy

If you don't have the latest AMD Drivers, as the latest 15.4 Beta driver addressed GTA Optimization go here and download them for your GPU. The 7xxxx series might not have it but since some are rebrand you can probably get away with installing the latest driver from the R9 200 series. Again just if your GPU doesn't have it. You can use DDU for any and all of your driver removale needs if you don't know about it. Download version 15.2.0.0

All links provided in my comment.

0 Likes
vainfyqri
Adept I

Im not sure exactly what caused your poor performance. I am using 7970Ghz Sapphire 3Gb too, and i don't have your problems. As stated by others here, it might be ur driver. in the settings, try tweaking ur graphics so that it does not go over your vram limit. usually the advanced graphics eat it alot

0 Likes
tekkiaussie
Elite

That driver package is not only for the R9 200 series cards, it actually is for the HD5000, HD 6000, HD 7000, R7 200 & R9 200 series cards. All of them use that same driver for the Windows 8.1 64bit version. So he would not be "getting away with installing it [sic]" but that is the proper driver he should be installing.

0 Likes
iwalkwithedead
Challenger

Excellent!

0 Likes
iwalkwithedead
Challenger

tekkiaussie wrote:

That driver package is not only for the R9 200 series cards, it actually is for the HD5000, HD 6000, HD 7000, R7 200 & R9 200 series cards. All of them use that same driver for the Windows 8.1 64bit version. So he would not be "getting away with installing it [sic]" but that is the proper driver he should be installing.

It appearing I was looking at the wrong driver and there is no edit for some reason. Thank You for clearing that up as well.

0 Likes

How about going to their support forums at https://forums.geforce.com/  and seeing that they are not immune to issues.

0 Likes
iwalkwithedead
Challenger

0 Likes