• 1 x HDMI
    • 2 x mini DisplayPort 1.2
    • 1 x DVI-I
  • connected to an Onkyo TX-NR717 A/V receiver
  • out to a Samsung SR650 Series - LED monitor
    • 1 x DisplayPort,
    • 1 x HDMI
    • 1 x VGA (HD-15)

When I connected the PC to the receiver and to the monitor, I was able to see the post screen and the windows boot up logo and then no display after that.

Safe mode works fine.

I then connected the miniDisplayPort to the onkyo receiver and the HDMI to the monitor, and when I forced the refresh rate to 60Hz, I was able to get a display through the receiver.

I then connected both HDMI and miniDisplayPort to the receiver, and changed the refresh rates of both monitors to 60Hz.

Thinking the ordeal was over, I disconnected the miniDisplayPort and just HDMI to receiver, and once again no display after boot.

Can anyone tell me how to get around this and get display through the receiver over HDMI?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Reply

What does Windows Setup - Display show when you have both MiniDP and HDMI connected with video.

Have you tried Onkyo configuring the Receiver's Settings to see if you can get video out with HDMI?

I have an old Onkyo A/V in which I had HDMI from the GPU card to the Onkyo Receiver then from the Onkyo Receiver I had HDMI to my monitor without issue.

What happens with the monitor just connected with HDMI and you press on Onkyo  "HDMI THRU"? Do you get video now?

On my old  Onkyo it as the large button for "Standby" and "HDMI THRU"

Try resetting your Receiver to "Default" Settings and see if you now get video. Check your manual on how to do it.

Here is the latest AMD Driver for the HD77XX (I picked the HD7790): https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/amd-radeon-hd-7000-series/amd-radeon-hd-7790

It sounds like as soon as Windows starts to open to the desktop, AMD Driver is loaded, causing the black screen. You can check this out by uninstalling the AMD driver and see if you get video while booting into Windows thru your A/V Receiver.

At least that should be able to tell you if it is a AMD Driver issue or not. If the same thing happens with MS Basic Display Adapter installed (Windows Native basic Graphics driver) than you know it isn't the AMD driver at fault.

0 Likes