cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

pooli
Adept I

No display for 6700 XT after win 11 update

One week ago I bought a pc. For the first 2 days everything went seamless. I put on a windows 11 home (without a key), updated the bios, etc. Then I wanted to activate my windows with my student key which is for the education version. No prob, it accepted it, just had to upgrade my version. After a while I checked the pc and my screen was black. When I turn it on every fan starts spinning except my gpu and I have a 5600 so no iGPU, I cant see **bleep**. What I did since:
  1. Verified that my card works in another pc.
  2. Verified my pc works with other GPUs (HD 7770,GTX 1060)
  3. Used DDU, reinstalled windows
  4. Removed SSD, cleared CMOS, flashed factory BIOS version
It still doesn't work and I ran out of troubleshooting ideas. I have the exact same configuration when it first posted for me and still nothing. I found a video when they had a similar problem with Nvidia cards. Could it be I have to update my 6700 XT-s BIOS?
The video on youtube: /watch?v=LQG153s1NIM&ab_channel=JayzTwoCents 
My specs: Sapphire 6700 XT, ryzen 5 5600, asus prime b550m-k, 2*8 gb g.skill ddr4 3600, 1tb samsung 980, fsp hydro g pro 650w
0 Likes
4 Replies

If you are able to enter BIOS try setting it for CSM Mode (Legacy) and see if you get video output.

Upgrading to Windows 11 sets BIOS to UEFI Mode for Windows 11 to install.

Also try CLEAR CMOS to set your BIOS Settings to factory defaults and see if you get video output.

I presume you were upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11 correct?

If BIOS won't let you set it to CSM Mode and boot up and wait and see if you have video output when Windows starts loading.

Sometimes, GPUs don't have video output to the monitor when in UEFI mode is enabled but starts to have video output as soon as Windows starts loading.

0 Likes

I set it to Legacy mode - sill nothing. I "upgraded" win 11 home to win 11 education. Since I removed the SSD, cleared CMOS, flashed the BIOS the MB came with and also flashed the newest, it should have nothing to do with windows anymore, right? It is now the same setup that I had a few days ago when it worked effortlessly. The only change I could think of is in the vga BIOS. Is that a reasonable theory? Also thanks a lot for answering!!

0 Likes

Googled the difference between Windows 11 Home and Windows 11 Education.

Seems like Windows 11 Education is based on Windows Enterprise OS: https://jktech.com.sg/blogs/news/5-key-differences-between-windows-11-education-and-se

What is Windows 11 Education?

Windows 11 Education is essentially a variant of Windows 11 Enterprise but with education-specific default settings required in school settings. The Windows 11 Education version comes with a specific feature set designed to be more beneficial to students and teachers. It shares all the same powerful features available in the Enterprise version of Windows 11, such as setting group policies for stricter control over users, Bitlocker, mobile device management (MDM), Applocker, and more.

A couple of these default changes in Windows 11 Education is the disabling of Cortana (Microsoft’s productivity assistant) and the Windows Widgets panel, the last one showing news and interests for topics like the weather, news, sports, and more which could prove distracting. 

It is possible that one of Windows 11 more secure features is preventing the GPU from working correctly. But still you should still have Video output during Boot up or POST and be able to enter BIOS.

Since Windows doesn't load up when BIOS is booting up during POST. Unless Windows Education changed some settings on the GPU card.

Maybe someone else has some ideas but personally I would contact and open a Support Ticket with Powercolor Tech Support and ask them if by installing Windows Enterprise (Education version) it would affect the GPU from having Video Output during POST.

EDIT: Since you are using Windows Enterprise OS see if by installing RX 6700XT AMD Pro Edition AMD driver will fix your problem from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-6000-series/amd-radeon-6700-series/amd-radeon-rx-...

Release notes for AMD Pro edition: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-pro-win-22-q4

Thank you again! I will do that then.