cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

davehenrie
Adept I

new SSD & Win11 Games keep losing focus to windows 6700 XT

I had an SSD failure so I purchased a new SSD & installed Win11 from a USB.  Very few programs onboard,  Just two games and a browser really.  But both games swap out from gameplay with or WITHOUT me touching anything(so no accidental windows key) every few minutes.  This is not a crash, I can alt-tab right back into the game but the process takes a couple of seconds and can really disrupt the game.(both dx11)

I originally installed v24.1.1 and after reading help forums tried to clean those out and re-install.  I used DDU in safemode.  Also tried with Super Resolution enabled/disabled with no difference between either setting. 

32gb System Ram/Intel 12 gen12900kf/Corsair 850 watt power brick.  I often use extra controllers for racing, but due to the failure of the SSD, I have unplugged all that so only the mouse & keyboard for input devices.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Check the firmware on that Samsung Pro SSD. There were some issues with the 980, not sure which model you have but since that's the only hardware change.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
FunkZ
Forerunner

Do you hear any Windows sounds when this happens? Like the notification sound made when hardware is added or removed?

Were you also running Windows 11 on the old SSD and has any other hardware been changed?

0 Likes
davehenrie
Adept I

no window sounds occur, no notifications,  just an random drop.  Yes, I had Win 11 for over a year prior and did not ever see this.  This only occurred with the new SSD & Fresh install of Win11.  The only change is swapping out the XPG SSD for a Samsung Pro. both 1TB

0 Likes

adding to the above,  was just sitting in a game without any input and it blink back to windows.  (just re-enforces my original post)  No Windows sounds, it was as if I had hit alt-tab yet I wasn't touching anything.

0 Likes

Check the firmware on that Samsung Pro SSD. There were some issues with the 980, not sure which model you have but since that's the only hardware change.

0 Likes

that could be it.  980 Pro.  I'm on it. 

0 Likes
davehenrie
Adept I

No luck with firmware/software.  The Samsung app shows I have the latest versions of both.

One curious note:  It is only games that suffer the problem.  I can browse  or use Windows programs for hours UN-interruppted.

0 Likes
FunkZ
Forerunner

Here's 2 articles I found about Windows 11 processes stealing focus - the second one has a link to an app that can determine.

https://www.windowslatest.com/2023/01/04/windows-11-22h2-bug-file-explorer-opens-randomly-when-using...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mstscexe-stealing-focus/f9acb6fd-3c95-4e22-8f4...

0 Likes
davehenrie
Adept I

great thank you, I will definitely try those.  I 'MAY" have solved the issue.  I went back to bios and disabled a bios update app and then disabled the Razer Keyboard app.  I have an older Razer keyboard and found the v2 works best.  So I went back to that version and .... soooo far....  no dumping out of the game.  fingers crossed.

davehenrie
Adept I

definitely cured.  Thanks all for the information and sounding board.  Replacing the Razer App or disabling the Armory Crate app inside the bios has done the trick nearly a full day without any drops back to windows. !