cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mcwils86
Journeyman III

New 6900 XT tons of problems

I installed a XFX reference 6900 XT in my PC last night and afterwards I have a lot of problems. I ran DDU and removed all Nvidia drivers along with any AMD drivers and did a fresh install of the newest Adrenaline. Here are my problems 

1. Windows now takes forever to boot.

2. My audio is crackling and is making robotic noises

3. I can’t play any games. In game my max FPS is 15 and the game is unplayable and extremely laggy.

4. My mouse cursor is laggy at times or non responsive and will do its own thing time to time.

5. If I use any app or program it is laggy and sometimes crashes.

6. If I try to watch YouTube or any browser it’s extremely laggy and the videos will have a small amount of the video and the rest is green. 

I never had any of these issues until I installed my new 6900 XT. 
Any suggestions?

UPDATE 

I was able to fix all of my issues by switching to PCI-E Gen 3 inside my BIOS. If anyone else is or has experienced any of these issues try switching to Gen 3.

0 Likes
10 Replies
Coffeecat
Adept II

what PSU are u using

0 Likes

I’m using a Corsair CX series 750W.

0 Likes

The minimum recommend PSU is a quality 850W unit, so you can expect issues when using a 750W PSU. 

Kubicide
Adept II

Glad you found the issue - helpful info!

0 Likes
Earnhardt
Grandmaster

Information Required When Posting a Discussion

Please:

• Search the forums for existing discussions which may contain a solution to your issue before creating a new discussion.
  • Use a title that accurately summarizes your issue. Do not use titles like “Help Me” or “Driver issue”.
  • Post your discussion in the appropriate board for a faster and more helpful response.

When creating a new discussion, please provide as much detail as possible describing your issue, including the steps to reproduce the issue.

Below is an example of the essential information to provide when posting a new discussion.

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card Make & Model
    • Radeon VII
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • If a laptop, Make and Model of the Laptop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit 1909 Build
  • Driver version installed
    • Radeon Software Adrenaline 20.10.1
  • Display Make and model and connection/adapter in use, resolution, and refresh rate.
    • Samsung UE32850R 3840x2160 @60Hz Active DP to HDMI adapter
    • One line for each display device connected
  • CPU/APU Make and model number
    • Ryzen 5 5600X
  • Motherboard Make & Model + Bios Revision
    • Asus X570 Prime Pro BIOS 2802
  • Power Supply Unit Make & Model + Wattage
    • Seasonic Focus 750W Platinum
  • System Memory Make & Model + Frequency
    • GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz CL14 2x8GB

Describe your issue:

• Provide a detailed description of the issue you are experiencing, and the steps required to reproduce the issue.
  • Details about applications/games affected (including version number)
  • Graphical settings used in the application/game (resolution and 3D settings)
  • If possible, include a screenshot or video link of the issue
0 Likes

Thank you for the information I’ll keep that in mind for the next time.

0 Likes
ScotchFury
Challenger

Card is definitely spec'd to be PCIE 4 so something isn't quite right if you have to force it down to PCIE 3..?

As @Matt_AMD said the recommended PSU is 850W so dropping back to 3 might just be simply a slight bottleneck holding it back a little thus using less power...?

https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-6900-xt#product-specs 

@mcwils86 wrote:

I installed a XFX reference 6900 XT in my PC last night and afterwards I have a lot of problems. I ran DDU and removed all Nvidia drivers along with any AMD drivers and did a fresh install of the newest Adrenaline. Here are my problems 

1. Windows now takes forever to boot.

2. My audio is crackling and is making robotic noises

3. I can’t play any games. In game my max FPS is 15 and the game is unplayable and extremely laggy.

4. My mouse cursor is laggy at times or non responsive and will do its own thing time to time.

5. If I use any app or program it is laggy and sometimes crashes.

6. If I try to watch YouTube or any browser it’s extremely laggy and the videos will have a small amount of the video and the rest is green. 

I never had any of these issues until I installed my new 6900 XT. 
Any suggestions?

UPDATE 

I was able to fix all of my issues by switching to PCI-E Gen 3 inside my BIOS. If anyone else is or has experienced any of these issues try switching to Gen 3.

0 Likes

@ScotchFury 

No bottleneck in my end. Have an ASRock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming. 3DMark PortRoyal outputs "10055" points with PCIe 4.0 and "10060" with PCIe 3.0. Probably in gaming @4K where would be a higher or more notorious bottleneck. Specially if game is not optimized. Using W10 PRO x64 1909 since had lots of issues with W10 PRO x64 20H2.

Power consumption running Metro Exodus 1080 Extreme + RTX Ultra (69°C GPU / 99% GPU usage / up to 2400 MHz Boost!) was close to 500W (490-498W). No difference with PCIe 3.0 or PCIe 4.0.

Testing Setup:

Samsarulz

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X + EK Supremacy EVO + 3x Arctic P12 120mm + 3x Yate Loon 120mm High + 2x D5 + 1x DDC Pumps
ASRock X570 Taichi BIOS P4.00
ASRock RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Phantom Gaming + Adrenalin 20.12.2
GSkill TridentZ RGB 2x16GB 3600 MHz 16-16-16-36
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + WD Black 6TB
Asus ROG Thor 1200W Platinum

Regards

0 Likes
Salmir1
Journeyman III

Did you manage to fix audio problems ?, I have no issues except those audio issues and its really annoying

0 Likes

You should NOT have to switch Pcie settings, the AMD software must do it automatically

0 Likes