cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

LeoFitz
Adept II

Need New Driver for Radeon 780M

Even after months since their release, there is still no official driver for the Graphics in R7 7840HS or R9 7940HS while we really need one. Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom Classic always crash when using the graphics to run AI denoise algorithm, even  when creating a mask or preset. Besides, its unstability results in frequent screen blackout especially when the screen refresh rate is higher than 60Hz while it actually supports 4K HDR at 240Hz. I bought it to retouch photos, but I can't even use PS or LrC, which is not really acceptable. 

I would appreciate it if there would be a new version of driver that can solve all problems listed above. If it's just Adobe software being incompatible with the new graphic, please notify the Adobe team to fix it. If it is just my problem, please let me know if I did something wrong. Thanks. 

1 Solution

Best to add your question to a similar current AMD Thread where AMD_MATT did respond: https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/amd-ryzen-7-7840u-adrenaline-drivers/m-p/614112#M17663...

Users there are asking the same question about drivers for the 780M laptop GPU.

I would suggest the moderator lock this thread since it is the same as the other current thread at AMD Forums.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
15 Replies

Either the drivers for your 7840HS or 7940HS are OEM processors thus not listed or supported by AMD or those APU mobile processor are still too new and AMD hasn't updated the AMD download page.

Not sure if AMD is now supporting all of its OEM Processors with drivers or not.

In the past several AMD OEM processors or GPUs weren't listed and not supported with AMD Drivers since it was the OEM Manufacturer responsibility to provide drivers for their OEM products.

You can always try to download the AMD Driver that is closest your Mobile APU processors and see if it installs and works correctly.

0 Likes

This is exactly the same problem with the 7840U drivers... Also comes with a 780M. AMD have seriously dropped the ball with drivers for these APUs. If you consider these OEM processors, why is is that the 6800U, the prior Gen APU in this range, gets updated drivers from AMD? 

0 Likes

Good question but the 6000 series is different from the 7000 series maybe that is why.

Anyways, the only one that can answer your question is AMD.

You could try and open a AMD Support ticket and ask them directly and see what type of answer you will get. If you do please post here in this threads for others to read: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes

Already filled them in. If I get anything,  I would post it here. 

Sorry, I am not sure why AMD is not responsible for supporting the 7940HS and 7840HS, considering there are a lot of manufacturers using these processors and for some people currently they are basically unusable. AMD designed and produces these processors. It makes total sense for AMD instead of Lenovo, HP, or other OEM to deliver the usable driver. Besides, 6800H, 7735H etc., they've all got drivers listed in the support page, and I think AMD should do the same for the 7040 series. 

0 Likes

My guess is if it is supported by AMD with drivers then possibly because they are still new in the market and AMD hasn't updated their download page.

Try downloading the mobile AMD processor closest to the one you have and see if it installs and works correctly or not.

If it doesn't you can always use DDU to uninstall the driver and reinstall your current driver again.

0 Likes
LeoFitz
Adept II

@Matt_AMD Please take a look at this post. 

0 Likes

Best to add your question to a similar current AMD Thread where AMD_MATT did respond: https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/amd-ryzen-7-7840u-adrenaline-drivers/m-p/614112#M17663...

Users there are asking the same question about drivers for the 780M laptop GPU.

I would suggest the moderator lock this thread since it is the same as the other current thread at AMD Forums.

0 Likes
avorontsov90
Adept I

still waiting for a driver for 7840hs

LeoFitz
Adept II

Your service request: 00366183 has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

Thank you for the email.

Please be inform you that For AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS processor based laptops, the drivers should be provided through the OEMs / device manufacturers on their product support page.

Thank you for contacting AMD.

In order to update this service request, please respond without deleting or modifying the service request reference number in the email subject or in the email correspondence below.

Please Note: This service request will automatically close if we do not receive a response within 10 days and cannot be reopened.

If it is not feasible to respond within 10 days, feel free to open a new service request and reference this ticket for continued support.

Best regards,

Neha

AMD Global Customer Care

My reply: 

Sorry, I am not sure why AMD is not responsible for supporting the 7940HS and 7840HS, considering there are a lot of manufacturers using these processors and for some people currently they are basically unusable. AMD designed and produces these processors. It makes total sense for AMD instead of Lenovo, HP, or other OEM to deliver the usable driver. Besides, 6800H, 7735H etc., they've all got drivers listed in the support page, and I think AMD should do the same for the 7040 series.

Asking via those request forms inevitably get you these kinds of templated responses unfortunately. A waste of time. If the July 1 Adrenalin drivers don't include support for the 7040 series APUs, we should riot.

That reply is a joke. If AMD can't provide the usable driver, they don't really have to release new processors, and OEMs can stop making products that include components made by AMD. I can't imagine why AMD can't provide a driver for products that has been released for months. For a Photoshop user, I do find that I have no reason to choose AMD products. Intel's CPU + NIVIDIA's GPU is obviously a better option. [doge]

Thanks for uploading AMD Support response. I uploaded your reply to the other thread concerning the same issue.

LeoFitz
Adept II

Is there anything we can do to get AMD's attention? There is no official personnel who is aware of this problem and trying to fix it. Please don't let consumers regret choosing AMD! Delay no more, AMD! (Sorry for the swearing, but if you don't fix it, users would definitely give you an "up yours". )