Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

andres_moya
Adept I

Need help to enable AMD h264 h65 encoding on 680M + RX 6500M

Hello 

Need help with the new system.

Lenovo ThinkPad Z16: Ryzen 6850H (680M) + RX 6500M. I though with 2 GPU would be a dream setup for video edit, but i have difficulties using it with DaVinci. Also tested with Handbreak.

Installed Adrenaline 23.3.1 and latest studio drivers 528.49 for external NVIDIA 3060.

Now strange things happening. I noticed that AMD encoding is not available on both DaVinchi and Handbreak. It became available in both then i connect external GPU and disappear then disconnected. I tried to reinstall adrenaline and remove NVIDIA drivers. It makes AMD encoding not available at all. I think i break something with this dual setup.

Is where any tool that can diagnose available codecs?

I will try to use gaming driver instead of studio for NVIDIA and see if it helps.

0 Likes
1 Solution
andres_moya
Adept I

Final conclusion.

Never buy AMD based system for video edit. If you did and want to keep it, add eGPU with NVIDIA to your setup. You will be able to cut/edit your video and do some lite color grading on the go. And then render final production at home. Intel + Nvidia provides much more stable setup for Davinci at least. 

Even with 6500M disabled i was not able to encode 10bit video. 680M did the job, but resulting video is a set of random color spots (unusabe). VLC or MPC was not able to play it. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
andres_moya
Adept I

I just installed NVIDIA "game ready" driver. Same results. I need to plug in NVIDIA eGPU to enable AMD encoding. 

Any help will be appreciated.

0 Likes
andres_moya
Adept I

Downgrade to 22.11.2 didn't solve the issue. NVIDIA hardware still should be present for software be able to see AMD encoder. I feel Nvidia somehow override codecs. It is unusual setup then some peace of hardware can be attached and removed on the fly.

0 Likes
andres_moya
Adept I

New update. I was able to use encoding then disabled 6500M in device manager. No 6500M and encoder works on 680M. Once 6500M in then no encoding. Need help from drivers team. 

0 Likes
andres_moya
Adept I

Ok, one more update. 
https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-6500m

H264 H265/HEVC Encode not supported. Finally i know why. But it should still be able to use 280M! Still need help from drivers team

0 Likes
andres_moya
Adept I

Final conclusion.

Never buy AMD based system for video edit. If you did and want to keep it, add eGPU with NVIDIA to your setup. You will be able to cut/edit your video and do some lite color grading on the go. And then render final production at home. Intel + Nvidia provides much more stable setup for Davinci at least. 

Even with 6500M disabled i was not able to encode 10bit video. 680M did the job, but resulting video is a set of random color spots (unusabe). VLC or MPC was not able to play it. 

0 Likes