cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

athlonXP2600
Adept I

Moved from Nvidia to AMD - Huge regret with so many problems!?

So, I decided to give AMD a try after years and years of being on Nvidia GPU's (been using them since the ATI days!) I've chosen the rather dated at this point but still capable RX 270 by XFX (8GB GDDR5 model) to replace my GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5 card. As you can guess from my choice of GPU's im not a high end gamer but more of a mid to low range one.

my specs are:

Intel Core i7 9700K CPU

16GB DDR4 RAM

gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER motherboard

XFX RX 270 8GB GPU

Anyway, ever since entering the world of AMD i have had nothing but issue after issue. Firstly the GPU was going from 0% fan speed to 100% fan speed which sounded like a group of rack mounted servers going off... SOOO LOUD! why aren't the drivers providing better control over fan speed? Perhaps this is a vendor issue (XFX) but it instantly made me regret my decision to go AMD. Eventually I used MSI afterburner to tame the fans with a curve which keeps temps around 65c at maximum load but also doesn't make my ears bleed.

Then came the driver crashes and issues... I am currently running driver version 23.3.2 but i have tried other versions as well with varied results but all of them have issues.

• HDR seems to show colors which are over saturated, i know the idea of HDR is deeper colors but on AMD they look overly colorful and it only seems to do this on the latest drivers. Ironically, red seems to be the color which stands out most, all my pictures have a higher level of red in them.
  • Often when i exit DOOM 2016 or it crashes the screen brightness will remain low? and it won't go back to normal until i reboot. Very annoying but might be an issue with DOOM and HDR rather than AMD? Never had this problem with Nvidia though...
  • lastly and the most annoying of which is DOOM 2016, GTA V, DayZ and loads of other games keep crashing for no apparent reason. I have nothing overclocked, literally zero overclocking going on, my temps are well within spec (53c CPU, 65c GPU at full load) but no matter what i do it results in driver crashes eventually and its REALLY annoying. I've never once had a crash from an Nvidia card, not once. Online seems to paint a very similar picture to mine with people having endless issues with AMD drivers... What is the solution!?

sdfhsdfh.jpg

Any help is appreciated as im really willing to give team red a go but at this stage it seems like i will be swiftly moving back to Nvidia never to return, my experience with AMD has been really bad.

0 Likes
8 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Its unfortunate you are having so many issues. I had issues with HDR and instead of rebooting to fix the brightness press CTRL+Shift+Windows+B at the same time. It restarts the video drivers. As for crashes in games I had them with my Nvidia GTX 1660 Super but didn't have, but one crash once I upgraded to a RX 5600 XT by MSI and have had very few with my RX 6800 XT also by Gigabyte. 

The issues could be cause by the drivers for the card. I didn't realize the most recent drivers supported the 200 series. These drivers are what show up when looking them up on the AMD support page.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-r9-series/amd-radeon-r9-200-series/amd-radeon-r9-...

It should read 22.6.1 as the recommended.  

In the 22.3.2 patch notes these are the compatible desktop GPUs

cpurpe91_0-1680487229705.png

I hope using the correct drivers fixes your issues.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

RX 570 you mean, r270 would be 3years older then your rtx1050. If you want help from someone rename it :), some guy with polaris will appear. btw you choosed and insanely dated gpu. at last rdna 1 architecture would be much better choice

0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

RX 270 8GB? I didn't know the RX 270 came in 8GB variants .. your screen shot shows the RX 570

What power supply are you running make/model/age? Keep in mind that the RX 270 has twice the power draw of the GTX 1050 (75w to 150w) .. the RX 570 8GB is going to be pushing mid 200's wattage power draw. An inadequate power supply can cause all kinds of havoc on a setup.

Is your motherboard's BIOS up to date?

Do you have the latest chipset drivers installed from Intel.com?

What version of Windows are you running? is it up to date?

Did you run the program called DDU to remove all past Nvidia drivers prior to installing your AMD GPU?

Whatever brand GPU or any other components you decide to go with .. make sure you have adequate supporting hardware around it .. ie .. sufficient cooling/air flow .. sufficient power .. etc.

I made that mistake on my wife's setup .. 

5600x, 2x16GB 3200 DDR4, ASRock B550m Phantom Gaming 4,ASRock RX 550 2GB, Thermaltake RGB Smart 500wtt 80 Plus (White rated)

She was getting a lot of errors .. driver timeouts, etc .. that all looked like her GPU was the culprit. I upgraded her to a 600wtt Segotep 80+ Gold PSU and her setup automagically was 100% stable

She now runs a 5800x, 4x16GB 3200 DDR4, an ASRock 5700XT Phantom Gaming D, all powered by a Seasonic Focus 850wtt 80+ Platinum without issue

..and IF you must know .. my daughter runs an RX 6700XT (previously in my setup) and it continues to run without issue .. before that she ran an RX 580 4GB ex-mining card that I bought used for $55 shipped before the crypto mining craze took off .. it ran without issue for years (EVGA 850wtt GQ 80+ Gold PSU)

I just upgraded from an RX 6800 to an RX 7900XT .. both ran/running without issue (Corsair HX 1200wtt 80+ Platinum PSU)

in the past I've ran the RX 570 8GB and a GTX 1080 ..both without issue. I think the only real issue I've ran into with a GPU was with an nVidia Geforce FX 5900xt that couldn't run at it's rated speed .. I had to downclock it to run stable .. I returned it 

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

sorry, yes it's a RX 570.

• Is your motherboard's BIOS up to date? Yes
  • Do you have the latest chipset drivers installed from Intel.com? Yes
  • What version of Windows are you running? is it up to date? Windows 10 Pro, fully up to date.
  • Did you run the program called DDU to remove all past Nvidia drivers prior to installing your AMD GPU? Yes

Whatever brand GPU or any other components you decide to go with .. make sure you have adequate supporting hardware around it .. ie .. sufficient cooling/air flow .. sufficient power .. etc.

My machine is fine. I have x2 140mm Noctua fans breathing in cool air and x1 120mm Noctua fan exhaust fan. A huge noctua CPU cooler and the GPU it self has a big cooler with heatpipes and x2 large fans. It never exceeds 65c GPU temp or 55c CPU temp and the CPU maintains its turbo clock of 4.6Ghz on all 8 cores no problems.

My PSU is also fine its a Corsair AX760 literally complete overkill for my setup but i like corsair PSU's.

Literally just got booted again out of GTA V from a crash. The game froze with sound still going and then im chucked back onto my desktop. Seems really strange.

Have you checked your system's Event Viewer for logged errors .. might shed more light on your issue .. might not

You could just have a dud GPU. Maybe get in contact with whomever you bought/got it from and have a little chat

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I totally missed the GPU being an RX 570. I should have noticed that.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

I should also mention i did try the 22.6.1 drivers as well as Windows own self installing drivers. All of which gave me different issues (texture bugs, crashes etc) the latest drivers seem the most stable in terms of texture issues.

kratochvil1989, I'm well aware it's a dated GPU.. i did say in my original post that im not someone who seeks the best of the best. Hell i still play Zdoom (original 1993 Doom in OpenGL) and Unreal Tournament 99/2004 so... I really don't need anything crazy.

0 Likes

It could be Windows causing issues. I know for many Windows likes to overwrite drivers with one's that just don't function. I would follow this guide, and then use DDU to uninstall the old drivers and try out the recommended once more. https://community.amd.com/t5/general-discussions/how-to-stop-updates-for-drivers-with-windows-update...

0 Likes