cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

The_Man_Above_all
Journeyman III

Manual installation of AMD Chipset Driver 6.07.22.037 leads to suspicious activity vs Auto install

Hello cool people,

First of all I was able to resolve my issue by installing chipset drivers through "Auto-Detect and Install Driver Updates for AMD Radeon" without any problems or antivirus triggers!

For anyone who wonder what I found you can read below 

I am here to raise a concern and quench my thirst of wonder regarding an issue I encountered whilst trying to install AMD Chipset Driver "6.07.22.037".

I know I am not the only one that has ever posted a concern about malicious activity but my antivirus has never triggered from installation of a chipset driver. 

When I was running the executable I encountered a trojan error. that I suppose a .vbs script is trying to run on my computer.

My antivirus log stating "Trojan.virus.vbs.qexvmc.1065" trying to run under "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp\nswD8CD.tmp" and if I want to approve that action.

I blocked it and proceeded with the installation until the window that show what types of chipset drivers I want to install.

Closed this window without installing anything, ran my antivirus to scan my C:\ drive, and while waiting I tried the same steps once more!

There was another warning stating the same  "Trojan.virus.vbs.qexvmc.1065" trying to run under "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp\nsw494C.tmp"

Decided to check back if I can find anything manually for older residual files in my "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp\" directory, where I found similar file names with a proper looking .vbs script and by the looks of it they were completely fine, yet somehow undetected by my antivirus. So I thought this is a false positive!

I stopped the installation once more accepted the "trojan" and then I had another warning which stated if I should allow the following action, "Trojan:Trojan.Generic" "C:\WINDOWS\Systanive\cscript/exe" to run. 

That was the moment I decided to post a question and ask someone for their insight why that might be happening, and if it is okay.

Peculierly why those scripts were triggering in the manual Chipset installation and not during the auto detection one? 

What is in those triggers and what I could have encountered ahead? 

I highly doubt that the download was poisoned but there is always a slight chance.

My location is in Eastern Europe.

I am using a premium (payed) version of "360 Total Security" as my primary antivirus for more than 10 years (mainly because of the control it gives me)

I scanned the chipset .exe file and there was nothing. I forgot that I can sandbox the .exe to look it further, but I just wanted to delete it, so it is gone for good. 

If someone decides to ask - yes I only download from AMD Support site!

Please share your thoughts, and kindly thank you for your time!

0 Likes
0 Replies