cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mirko93s
Journeyman III

Major memory leak in old minecraft versions

Any version below 1.8 has major memory leaks. After few minutes of playing you end up filling your vram and then your ram, until your pc crashes.
This bug was introduced with driver 22.7 and any newer version I tried doesn't fix the issue.

It seems to be related to this: https://community.amd.com/t5/opengl-vulkan/high-vram-consumption-in-minecraft/m-p/607299
18 months have passed since the introduction of this bug but it has not been fixed yet. Anything I can do to solve this?

1 Reply
MrWrightD7A
Journeyman III

Recently I faced this problem when playing Minecraft Beta 1.7.3. I put the driver version 2.2.6.1 - still "eats" RAM, but already 250-500 MB lower than it was on the latest drivers, but performance suffered (took away 5-10 FPS).

Surprisingly, but under Linux (I tested on Linux Mint) Minecraft works amazingly well: it doesn't consume any RAM at all (somewhere 600-800 MB), and at the same time the performance is higher than on Windows. Taking into account that Linux has the latest AMD drivers (not open-source).

Maybe AMD developers should conduct a parallel study of Windows and Linux drivers to find out what are the differences in OpenGL performance on both systems?

0 Likes