Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ateslik
Adept I
Adept I

Macbook Pro 16" is HOT & NOISY with an external monitor! :(

Macbook Pro 16" laptops with the 5300M and 5500M dedicated GPUs run with Radeon High Side at 20W when connected to an external monitor. This causes the machine to run VERY hot and the fans to spin to over 5000rpm.

The EXACT SAME LAPTOP running the Windows drivers through Apple bootcamp do not have this issue.

The MacOS drivers for the Radeon 5300M and 5500M need to be updated to fix this!

Here is a thread with over 2300 replies about this WIDESPREAD problem:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/16-is-hot-noisy-with-an-external-monitor.2211747

41 Replies
pac089
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: 16" is HOT & NOISY with an external monitor! :(

I have the same problem. The Moment I connect my MBP 16" 2019 (5300m) to an external monitor the GPU immediately begins to draw about 18W resulting in a temperature increase of 20C in normal usage and higher fan speeds. This happens only when the lid is open and the GPU therefore has to power 2 or more screens (internal + external in my case). The GPU memory usage also jumps to 100% and stays there the whole time and no matter how light the workload is, which might be the reason for the 18W power consumption. This can't be right. Memory usage shouldn't be at 100% at idle, especially not with a powerful dedicated GPU. I don't know whether it's the driver or not but one thing I know for sure: A machine like the MBP 16" should NOT be struggling with simple tasks like using it together with an external monitor and the AMD GPU should definitely  NOT draw 18W at idle. Please fix this.

norbertm
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Same problem here, very annoying, and please update the drivers.

brantleyhall
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I have the same problem described above. With a MBP 16" 2019 5500M 8Gb the GPU power usage is ~18W when using an external monitor. This causes the MBP to run extremely hot. AMD, please check whether a driver update could mitigate this issue. 

alexfaster
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: Macbook Pro 16" is HOT & NOISY with an external monitor! :(

Yes, totally confirmed. Macbook 16 inch Radeon pro 5500 8gb, overheating with external monitor, and overall high wattage consumption. It stands very hot in games, even in simple ones, which leads to CPU throttling

silvetti
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I am having the same issue. 

MacBook Pro 16 5500 4GB VRAM

External Monitor: LG 27UL850 (have tried with another different resolution monitor, 1080p, same results)

Connected via USB-C. 

Situation #1

With laptop screen closed GPU draws 5-6w idling and fans stay at base speeds 1700-1800 and temps below 55 degrees Celsius (ambient temperature 25 degrees Celsius).

Situation #2

Open laptop screen, GPU draw rises to 18-20w idling (as in not running any applications), just staring at the screen. Fans speed start increasing to between 2500-2800 while no activity is being done on the laptop. General temperature also rises to above 65 degrees Celsius.

From my research this seems related to AMD card locking higher memory clock speeds when 2 monitors are being used even if no demand is being required from them.

This probably can be addressed with drivers being released as from other people's reports this does not happen on the same machine running Windows.

Please fix the GPU issue as this gives AMD a very bad image in the Apple community.

Feel free to ask me any questions or contact me if you need any logs dumps or reports.

slash686
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Same issue on 16-inch MacBook Pro i9 with AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB. Tried two different external displays - same problem. Very annoying to have this in a laptop with such high pricing.

slash686
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Mine is getting hot and noisy immediately upon connecting to external display without any CPU/GPU tasks running at all. I'm using Samsung HDMI to USB type-c adapter btw. If I disconnect external display - it cools down fast and I can't hear fan noise after that.

connormac
Adept I
Adept I

ISSUE
MACBOOK PRO 16 - Noisy and Hot
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M

1. NOISE
- MacBook cooling fans are very loud and distracting when MacBook is connected to external display (2500 - 5500rpm) even with light loading (only Chrome with 2 tabs open)
- Loud fans and high temperatures are experienced even during light work (only Chrome browser running with 2 tabs open)

2. HEAT
- CPU temperatures often reach 90+ deg c with external monitor connected (usb-c to displayport)
- MacBook very hot to touch above Touch Bar, at lower part of screen and underside close to hinge

NOTES
- My old 2015 MacBook Pro was silent and cool when connected to the exact same external display doing the same light work
- This Dec 2019 MacBook 16 needs to be silent, otherwise it is unsuitable for my work and not fit for purpose
- I had hoped that this CHF 3000 Core i9 MacBook pro would power through my light tasks effortlessly and without showing any stress (like my 2015 Mac did). Unfortunately it does not and indeed shows clear audible and thermal signs of significant stress. Such stress cannot be sustained over time and I am concerned about the longevity of this computer
- This Mac was supposed to be better than my 2015 Mac in every way, but instead I am sad to say it simply makes me want my old 2015 Mac back again
- Customers should not need to hack a $ 3000 MacBook in order to simply get it to run at a reasonable temperature and volume, but whilst there is no solution or ownership from Apple or AMD we are forced to seek our own solutions
- As a long-time Apple fan and loyal customer, I trust that Apple and AMD can solve this problem and restore my confidence in Apple products

SUPPORTING IMAGES
https://app.box.com/s/cvfp54k36z5vkt6f7kki84nf8tngyqww

Thank you for working to solve the GPU issue

I am happy to answer any questions or participate in user testing

alexfaster
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Guys, I am not sure, but seems Apple is responsible for drivers on OSX, not AMD.