cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Mike1010
Journeyman III

Lower performance in Destiny 2 after 23.2.2

I own a GIGABYTE Radeon RX 6600 XT and it's paired with a Ryzen 5 2600. I play a lot of Destiny 2. I usually get 100+ frames and smooth performance, truly something that I enjoyed. After 23.2.1, I've noticed an increase in CPU and GPU usage. The most disappointing outcome was that my game won't peak past 70 frames. It doesn't stop there. Even when getting 60 frames, when I'm in an environment with 3+ enemies, I lag and stutter HARD. I would drop into frames to low that some inputs are responsive during those sessions. I saw that in the notes for 23.2.2 that performance is improved with 6000 series GPUs and Ryzen processors. I was relieved that the situation was fixed. I tested Destiny 2 after the update and it's still the same. The driver update did not fix the issue. I have tired everything. Lightfall, the next big expansion, drops in less than a week. I would love to experience the expansion that I paid money pre-ordering. I have tried rolling back the driver but there isn't a previous instance of it on my PC so rolling back isn't an option. Is there anything else I can do? 

TL:DR;

The latest update (23.2.2) that was supposed to fix performance issues on 6000 series GPUs paired with Ryzen processors, did not. 

18 Replies
barasabbagh
Adept I

same goes to my 6650 xt , could play overwatch over 400 fps now I cant pass the 140 , and I cant roll back to the previous driver at all 

0 Likes

Post deleted by CCCLIX

0 Likes

Eh? Even if you can't roll back on the driver (whatever that means, as I've never heard of this for GPU drivers, yes, you can roll back to an older OS if the new one does doesn't suit you....I've heard of this), can't you simply uninstall the new driver (using DDU) and reinstall the old one?

Edit - You can find older drivers in the same page as the latest driver, just above the bold heading Knowledge base, you can find 'Previous drivers'....

AM4 R9 5900X | GB X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX |Samsung C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 FS 2 | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | CM H500M | Win11 Pro 22H2
DaBeast02 - AM4 R9 3900X | GB X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Acer XR341CK 34" 21:9 FS | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | SOLDAM XR-1 | Win11 Pro 22H2
CCCLIX
Journeyman III

That's is the best solution  "You can find older drivers in the same page as the latest driver, just above the bold heading Knowledge base, you can find 'Previous drivers'.'  ... System restore is not rolling back to an older O/S it is restoring your present O/S back to the way it was before installing Windows updates or driver installs or any major change to your system. If you want to learn how to use system restore and set it up here is a good article on how to do it https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-system-restore-windows-10

0 Likes
Skrybe
Challenger

Have you double checked settings in the AMD drivers? It is possible that there is a changed setting that is affecting performance. I tweak my AMD settings and exported them once I was happy with them. I make sure I re-import them after doing a driver update. I always see roughly 6 settings needed to be updated.

Similarly it might be worth double checking game settings just in case something has changed in there. Maybe the game did a rescan of video cards and decided to bump up quality with you realizing?

As for rolling back, as others have pointed out, you should just be able to re-download the old drivers, remove the current ones and reinstall the old ones.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/amd-radeon-6000-series/amd-radeon-6600-seri...

MyrddinBishop
Journeyman III

I had the exact same issues in Destiny 2 with my 6750xt. I reinstalled my old drivers and it runs just fine. Hopefully AMD will roll out a fix soon, but until they do I'll stick with the drivers that work.

0 Likes
Mojito87
Adept I

6600K, 6900XT

The picture in CS and other games is not soft anymore. So i just turned off the Radeon Enhanced Sync (version 23.2.1 "on") and it works but still micro stutter.

You can find this option under Gaming --> CS:GO --> Radeon Enhanced Sync

I think i will re-install the driver 23.2.1

0 Likes
stitsch
Adept I

I have noticed same issues with Battlefield and pretty much all the games I play.

Using a 6600XT, Ryzen 7 2700X and 16 gb Ram. Well with my old driver everything ran perfectly smooth now I have a lot of lags, I have tried every possible settings like Vsync, Freesync and more. Nothing worked for me. I try to use an older driver now because this is unplayable.

0 Likes
shaoaz
Adept II

Freesync and most older games have horrible performance, mega stutters on even the easiest game to run, I play CSGO, GW2 and L4D2. Those used to be smooth and now super bad, only way to play games is to roll back drivers.

I did notice the terrible clock spikes on my GPU after those drivers, unlike 22.5.1 which remains smooth and going.

0 Likes
stitsch
Adept I

rolling back drivers worked! no more stuttering.

how exactly did u roll the drivers back? i have the same problem and would like to know how to fix it step by step pls
would much appreciate your help

0 Likes

1. Download older driver, I used some driver from November 2022... You can select previous drivers from Amd driver Download page.

2. delete old drivers fully with AMD cleanup utillity software (you need to download it)

3. After restarting your PC install the driver u have downloaded in step 1 and thats it.

Ryosuke_Noa
Journeyman III

23.2.2 version GPU temp too hot xdd normally i run around avg 60-66c.  after update 70-77c avg xD but new driver fix my issue flickering...

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Please could you provide some steps to reproduce the stuttering issue you see in Destiny 2 on 6650 XT with 23.2.2 driver? Additionally, please can you let me know what image qualitysettings you are using in the game?

0 Likes

Its the same problem with me currently, running a 5900x and a 6900xt gpu, never had these problems before - I have tried a reinstall of game = no luck, i have tried all settings on low = no luck.

Close to giving up, i will admit first time using a amd gpu on destiny 2 and ive had this problem, used a old 980ti back in the day and it was buttery smooth.

0 Likes

Literally feels like im only getting this when one or more enemys are in view - or it feels like a rendering issue - i get this also when im aiming down sights alot.

0 Likes
sirbruce
Adept I

I have a new 6700 XT GPU and goes to 0% usage in RAIDs, but it did not happen with older card. Any help here? Only Destiny 2 seems to be affected by this situation.

0 Likes
brockstar
Journeyman III

I have a 6700XT Elite and have the same problem as well, the only option to fix the stuttering is to roll back to driver version 22.11.2.  This can be painful if you ever want to play a newer game released in 2023 that requires the latest supported drivers.  so if I want to play destiny roll back, restart computer, load exported driver configs from 22.11.2.  If I want to play a new game, upgrade drivers to latest version, reboot then start it up.  It's been a lot of fun. not sure If I'll buy another AMD card in the future.  I'm guessing AMD has no plans to fix this as they are already on 23.5 2 at the time of writing this.  The problem happened at version 23.0.0