Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

elytscha
Journeyman III

Linux Support Radeon RX 6800M

Hello,

i just a bought an amd advantage laptop for work, its actually getting shipped. I will use linux on it.
Why?

Because I think CPU and GPU from the same vendor works best, and there AMD is the only option.
Because I generally favor AMD because i had issues with nvidia cards on linux and dont like there closed source driver policy in the past.
And also because i need a dGPU in my working laptop, because i have a quad monitor setup (Full HD, 27 inch, x4) and I also want to use the integrated laptop monitor, so the laptop need to be able to support 5 displays with the integrated one.

The laptop has the following dGPU:
AMD Radeon™ RX 6800M

but now i'm a little bit confused/afraid. Because as I saw,

the dGPU is not listed in the linux driver by amd
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-amdgpu-unified-linux-22-20

and also on the specific GPU page, there is also only windows listed
https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-6000m-series/amd-radeon-rx-6000m-series/amd-radeo...

Now i'm a little bit afraid that i will run into issues which I will not be able to fix, I'm afraid that the GPU will not even be recognized under linux or that my monitors will not work..

So my questions:
Is anyone running a RX 6800M in a laptop running linux?
Which Linux version/distribution would you recommend?
Whats the state of the linux driver and the RX 6800M?
Is it possible to contribute to the amd linux driver for get the RX 6800M supported? I don't know much about driver development, but as a software engineer/ senior devops engineer i would be able to get into this topic really fast.

best regards,

elytscha

0 Likes
1 Reply
vlamirand0
Journeyman III

I bought a laptop as soon as it was released in 2021. I understand you, dude, I spent about 100 hours or more trying to solve the problem, but the manufacturer didn't give me a chance. I have to endure Windows for 3 years already. And all you need is OpenCL support… We are suckers, it's our own fault, we need to pay attention not only to performance, but also to compatibility ((( so think amd or nvilia…

0 Likes